Kwykoff

Printing Witness Memo

I'm trying to print embedded witness memos in a Family Group Sheet. I've checked the Memo Option that reads 'Include memos from witnessed events' and I've checked 'Embedded' under 'Memos that are not included in the sentence'. A memo in the death tag prints fine, but the memo in a witnessed Immigration tag won't show up. Neither will it show in an Endnote report if I check Endnotes rather than embedded. I think that I read in the manual or in the online help that these will not show up if I have the report destination set as Print Preview or Printer, but it sounds to me like the memos should show if I Save to File. I also have 'ALL' tag types selected as well as 'ALL events and witnessed events' under Events. What am I doing wrong? Help!!!! I've posted this on the TMG-L but didn't receive a reply. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Kaye

Regarding sentence memos (which is what I think that you are asking about)...

If the subject has a witnessed event, for example,,, And that event shows up in the subject's event list... The only thing necessary to do for the memo for that witness to show in the event line in the report is to select 'Embed sentence [M]emo' on the Miscellaneous tab of the FGS report options. That is the only change from the default report configuration that is necessary and the memo text will show irregardless of the output destination. This has the same effect on a non-witnesssed event such as an Occupation tag.

For example, the subject is witness to a Census1860 tag and John Smith is the principal in the tag. The line in the report will be:

Census1860: __ ___ 1860 (w); John Smith (1); Anytown, Anystate; witness memo.

In the case of the Occupation tag where the subject is the principal and the occupation is in the memo:

Occupation* __ ___ 1880 Anytown, Anystate; a farmer

Which memo appears simply depends on whether the subject is a principal or witness.

I think I understand what you are saying and I checked to see that 'Embed sentence [M]emo' is selected on the Miscellaneous tab. It is! But the witnessed event nor the memo still do not show up on the FGS. I checked to make sure that 'all tag types' and 'all witnessed events' are selected on the TAG tab.

Here is my situation: Subject is a witness to the immigration of his mother (he came from Germany with her). There is a memo in the immigration tag for the mother with all the children selected as witnesses. I want the immigration event and memo to show up in an FGS for the son. The sentence for the Immigration tag includes the Memo. Am I wanting something that is not possible?

There is a death tag memo that shows up in this FGS. The memo from that tag shows in the FGS like this:

Death: <D> <L> <M>

This is what I want for the witnessed immigration.

Maybe I need to get back to the default FGS settings and start over. How do I do that--I couldn't find a return to default button?

Thanks for your help.

Kaye

Regarding sentence memos (which is what I think that you are asking about)...

If the subject has a witnessed event, for example,,, And that event shows up in the subject's event list... The only thing necessary to do for the memo for that witness to show in the event line in the report is to select 'Embed sentence [M]emo' on the Miscellaneous tab of the FGS report options. That is the only change from the default report configuration that is necessary and the memo text will show irregardless of the output destination. This has the same effect on a non-witnesssed event such as an Occupation tag.

For example, the subject is witness to a Census1860 tag and John Smith is the principal in the tag. The line in the report will be:

Census1860: __ ___ 1860 (w); John Smith (1); Anytown, Anystate; witness memo.

In the case of the Occupation tag where the subject is the principal and the occupation is in the memo:

Occupation* __ ___ 1880 Anytown, Anystate; a farmer

Which memo appears simply depends on whether the subject is a principal or witness.

You reset a report definition to default by clicking the [Delete] button at the top of the report definition screen and answer [yes] to the prompt.

I JUST FIGURED IT OUT! You have to make another change to the default!!! Under the TAG tab, you have to unselect 'restrict to BMDB group events' in the Subject Section. Even if you have 'All events and witnessed events' and 'All' tag types selected under the TAG tab, you still have to unselect 'restrict to BMDB group events'. Then all tags, events and witnessed events show up in the FGS! Whew! I've worked on this since Monday! Thanks.