sis1of4ch

TMG7 duplicated

I just updated from V6.12 to V7 and tried to restore. In V6 all my projects are in C:\Prgram Files\The Master Genealogist\projects and exhibits are in the same line under pics. When I tried to restore my data it put it under My Documents. So now I have two seperate sets of V7, one under Program Files where I want it, the other under My Documents where it put the data and I don't want it there. How can I get everything to work like I want? All the files and folders seem to be duplicated which does not make sense. I tried to go into preferences and change the default to the folders under Program Files but it would not let me. Please someone help me before I just decide to dump version 7 and stay with 6.

They are where they are in V7 because that's where Microsoft wanted it for current (if you have Vista) or later (if everyone else has Vista). The files are more scattered in V7 than they were in V6. It should be in the paths with your computer username in there.

The only dataset I changed myself was the backup, because I wanted it on another hard drive.

Once you have played with V7, you will not want to go back to V6. Nearly everything runs a bit faster.

Edited by retsof

So now I have two seperate sets of V7, one under Program Files where I want it, the other under My Documents where it put the data and I don't want it there. How can I get everything to work like I want? All the files and folders seem to be duplicated which does not make sense. I tried to go into preferences and change the default to the folders under Program Files but it would not let me.

TMG v7 uses a different method from v6 of storing data files. Read Help > Data File Storage for an explanation. Data files are no longer stored with program files.

When v7 is installed it puts copies of any files which might be modified into one of three data file locations. When you see duplicate files and folders, you are seeing the original copies in program files (off-limits to users) and the modifiable copies in user data areas. You can relocate user data files like projects, backups, configuration files (report definitions, etc.) in Preferences > Program Options > Advanced and in Preferences > Program Options > General - but you cannot relocate them to program files, as you found.

Virginia

As Virginia says, please start by reading the Data File Storage topic in help. Then come back and ask your questions about what you don't understand.

As Virginia says, please start by reading the Data File Storage topic in help. Then come back and ask your questions about what you don't understand.

OK - I had read all the pre-install instructions, but when I came to something that talked about VISTA I skipped it, because I am still running on XP. When I went back and read everything like I should have from the beginning it made sense and I now understand what is happening. This is a case of PICNIC - Problem in Chair, NOT in Computer. Thanks to all who answered and cleared this up for me.