bil

Problems with version 7

I have upgraded to version 7 but at irregular intervals the whole progam simply shuts down. There does not appear to be any reason for this and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Thanks

Bil

This sounds like an unusual experience. What OS are you using?

What kind of window do hasve in focus when this happens? e.g. data entry, master place list , explorer, report generation.

Wew need need more info? Do you have any computer programs running? Or anti-virus running or any other applications open?

I have upgraded to version 7 but at irregular intervals the whole progam simply shuts down. There does not appear to be any reason for this and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

I have this happen a lot if I am using Alt-Tab and lot flipping back and fourth from a TMG window to a Ancestry.com window to enter data ie: census data, etc.

I even upgraded my machine to 2G of RAM thinking that would help, but it doesn't.

I found if I just close the program frequently and reopen it that I have the best luck.

-Kris

This sounds like an unusual experience. What OS are you using?

What kind of window do hasve in focus when this happens? e.g. data entry, master place list , explorer, report generation.

Wew need need more info? Do you have any computer programs running? Or anti-virus running or any other applications open?

I am using a Windows XP. The problem only occurs when I have the data enry window open. It specifically happens when I go to a sibling of the person in focus. I can get around it by going back to the parent and then going to that sibling. However, for convenience it is quicker to go straight to the sibling and that is when TMG will randomly collapse.

It also shuts down straight away if I go to check if there is an update (I realise that there is not one but I checked and noticed that the whole program always immediatrely shuts down).

I have been to Tech Support and they have been very patient and helpful....however, they cannot find the problem. At this stage the only suggestion is to uninstall and then re-install. I would rather not do this as this could mean losing data or restoring the problem again.

Many thanks for any suggestions

Assuming you are clicking in the Siblings window to change focus, where on the screen is the siblings window located - for example on the lower right side, upper middle, etc.? If you move that window to another position in your layout, say above the Details window, does it make any difference?

Note, if you are using the Standard Layout and rearrange the windows, you will have to save the layout with a new name, since the Standard Layout cannot be modified.

Over the years there have been a handful of similar problems reported, some also involving the siblings window or doubleclicking in an area near the lower right side of the TMG screen. A few of the problems were linked to an anti-spyware program running in the background.

Virginia

Guest Michael Dietz

I may have a clue as to what is happening.

I have noticed that if I go click on a sibling TMG will occasionally crash. I have had some success in pinning down the following, I think. I will try to explain.

If I double click on the sibling too fast the program may crash. I don't know how to fully explain this but I have found that if I click once on the sibling, pause to let the window focus transfer to the sibling window (not the individual), then double click on the individual, the program has never crashed.

This is only a possible hint with no real proof that the problem is not having enough time to transfer the window focus.

I am running on a reasonably fast machine, a Pentium 4 with a 3 ghz speed and XP sp2.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Assuming you are clicking in the Siblings window to change focus, where on the screen is the siblings window located - for example on the lower right side, upper middle, etc.? If you move that window to another position in your layout, say above the Details window, does it make any difference?

Note, if you are using the Standard Layout and rearrange the windows, you will have to save the layout with a new name, since the Standard Layout cannot be modified.

Over the years there have been a handful of similar problems reported, some also involving the siblings window or doubleclicking in an area near the lower right side of the TMG screen. A few of the problems were linked to an anti-spyware program running in the background.

Virginia

Thank virginia.

I moved the Siblings window to the top of the screen and had the same problem

I may have a clue as to what is happening.

I have noticed that if I go click on a sibling TMG will occasionally crash. I have had some success in pinning down the following, I think. I will try to explain.

If I double click on the sibling too fast the program may crash. I don't know how to fully explain this but I have found that if I click once on the sibling, pause to let the window focus transfer to the sibling window (not the individual), then double click on the individual, the program has never crashed.

This is only a possible hint with no real proof that the problem is not having enough time to transfer the window focus.

I am running on a reasonably fast machine, a Pentium 4 with a 3 ghz speed and XP sp2.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks Michael. I think that you may be right!

I have tried to follow your suggestions and so far the system has not crashed. It seems that if you double click too quickly then the system sometimes does crash. I should stress that it does not do so most times....but at random intervals as you say.

I also find that Version 7 does not allow me to type in some data as quickly as I used to....for instance, when I type in a birth date it registers the first number and then says "irregular date"...so I have to type it in more slowly.

I will continue to try the version 7 following your suggestion to see if it is simply a matter of going too fast for the program...fingers crossed!

Many thanks

I, too, have found that trying to change the focus by double clicking in the Sibling window (using the default layout which has the Sibling window in the lower right quadrant) can cause TMG to close. The error messages are :

1st message: Visual Fox Pro has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Then: Fatal error: exception code C0000005@2008.01.24 10:41:47 pm Error log file: C:\windows\system32\vfp9rerr.log called from – tmgmain line 531 {c:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg c:\program files\the master genealogist v7\tmg7.exe}

If you open the error log file (using notepad or similar) you will find a list of when the problem occurred.

The problem appears to be inconsistant and random. It does not appear to be triggered by any particular situation or set of circumstances (other than double-clicking the sibling), but happens frequently enough to make me stop using that route to bring a sibling into focus.

I would hope the techies will find a solution soon!

Pat

1st message: Visual Fox Pro has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Then: Fatal error: exception code C0000005@2008.01.24 10:41:47 pm Error log file: C:\windows\system32\vfp9rerr.log called from – tmgmain line 531 {c:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg c:\program files\the master genealogist v7\tmg7.exe}

I have been encountering the same error message intermittently (perhaps as often as once per day during heavy usage sessions). But in my case it has not always been tied directly to clicking in the Siblings window. Although I have encountered the problem under those circumstances, it has happened to me most often when I have clicked on a name in the PE (tied to the other TMG data windows) to select an individual, and then dbl-clicked on a tag (of no consistent type) in the Details window to open it. Following the fatal error, I am left at the Windows desktop and have to re-open TMG.

Mike Daugherty

Frederick, Maryland

I have exactly the same problem as Mike, with exactly the same error message. Happens only when I double-click in the siblings window, wherever that window is located. The only thing that I can add is that carrying out manipulations in the image window seems to make this type of crash more likely.

It also shuts down straight away if I go to check if there is an update (I realise that there is not one but I checked and noticed that the whole program always immediatrely shuts down).

You understand that closing down when checking for an update is correct and by design?

%%%%%%%%%%

C0000005 errors come from the FoxPro code outside of the TMG code. They usually come from some memory management issue or from a timing issue (which appears to be the case as described above).

I've asked the programmer responsible to take a look at this.

I also find that Version 7 does not allow me to type in some data as quickly as I used to....for instance, when I type in a birth date it registers the first number and then says "irregular date"...so I have to type it in more slowly.

I suspect you'll find that this is feature of the new reminder window. I'd guess that you have Reminders set to always show?

Personally, I now run with reminders off, only selecting them to show when I'm doing something with lots of roles etc. as I too got caught too often with the date being half typed, and validated before I'd finished.

My theory, and I stress theory, is that if TMG was programmed to display the reminder window before the Tag Entry screen when you select a tag that this issue would go away and we could go back to having both reminders AND quick date entry, but I've no idea if that is even possible

C0000005 errors come from the FoxPro code outside of the TMG code. They usually come from some memory management issue or from a timing issue (which appears to be the case as described above).

I've asked the programmer responsible to take a look at this.

Thanks for this Jim. Can you let us know when there is a solution? The intermittent shutting down of the whole program when accessing the Sibling window is very frustrating.

I wonder...if it is a code from outside the TMG one ....why did it not happen with Version 6?

Thanks for this Jim. Can you let us know when there is a solution? The intermittent shutting down of the whole program when accessing the Sibling window is very frustrating.

Hopefully, this particular C0000005 error won't happen in v7.01. We'll see.

I wonder...if it is a code from outside the TMG one ....why did it not happen with Version 6?

TMG6 and TMG7 are different programs based on different versions of Visual Foxpro. TMG7 seems to be doing pretty well to date in regard to C0000005 errors.

I suspect you'll find that this is feature of the new reminder window. I'd guess that you have Reminders set to always show?

Personally, I now run with reminders off, only selecting them to show when I'm doing something with lots of roles etc. as I too got caught too often with the date being half typed, and validated before I'd finished.

My theory, and I stress theory, is that if TMG was programmed to display the reminder window before the Tag Entry screen when you select a tag that this issue would go away and we could go back to having both reminders AND quick date entry, but I've no idea if that is even possible

Many thanks for this tip Lorna

Well twice today I had an automatic shut down, but this time was a bit of a different twist in that I got a window that said it was a Visual Fox Pro error of some sort (Geesh, I have so many automatic shut downs, that I just ignore with TMG!)

But now for the first time I can not do a backup of my data anymore!

I have been unable to do a complete backup (one that includes exhibits) for several months, but up to now I was at least able to backup all the other settings in a backup. (The folks at WG support never did figure that one out)

But since these two shut downs today now I get: "Input File read failure - This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process" The only choice is to hit "OK" and then a window opens saying "Errors occurred during backup. Output file write failure, possible disk full".

Well I have 6G free so I know that disk is not full.

I have am the only user of this machine, I am the administrator/only user set up for it. :(

I am scared to death of loosing my dataset with no backup, I have over 58,000 folks in there.

I have run the Reindex/optimize/validate over and over, but that doesn't change the outcome...still can not do a backup of all settings and data.

HELP!

You usually get that message if you are trying to backup TMG directly to an external medium like a flash drive or CD. If that is the case, make your backup to a folder on your main drive and copy that .sqz file to the external medium. Same, in reverse, for Restore.

Virginia

It's not just the size of the file that misleads one to think that the flash drive is large enough to hold it. The backup process must make a lot of temporary workspace in the backup location to perform the compress and backup, and that simply overwhelms the small flash drives.

Use those for only TRANSFER of .SQZ files (or any file) from one computer to another.

Edited by retsof

"Hopefully, this particular C0000005 error won't happen in v7.01. We'll see."

Jim do you have any idea when v 7.01 will be released? The intermittent shutting down is very frustrating.

Thanks

"Hopefully, this particular C0000005 error won't happen in v7.01. We'll see."

Jim do you have any idea when v 7.01 will be released? The intermittent shutting down is very frustrating.

Thanks

The standard Wholly Genes response is "the upgrade will be announced when it is ready, and not before". And while we may eagerly await an upgrade, I think most TMG users appreciate the logic behind that policy.

The best you can do it ensure that they understand your problem and frustration. If you are lucky, you may get a pre-release of the program modules that cause your problem, to ensure that it does work for you. They did that for me once, but I was told to remove the temporary fix when the formal upgrade came out.

Pierce

I have the same thing, also the longer I have been working in the program, the worse it gets. Eventually, I shut my whole system down and reboot and it seems to help.

Anne of AI

I have this happen a lot if I am using Alt-Tab and lot flipping back and fourth from a TMG window to a Ancestry.com window to enter data ie: census data, etc.

I even upgraded my machine to 2G of RAM thinking that would help, but it doesn't.

I found if I just close the program frequently and reopen it that I have the best luck.

-Kris

You usually get that message if you are trying to backup TMG directly to an external medium like a flash drive or CD.

Virginia

I am doing a back-up to an second internal hard drive, which has 9G free space

Please help! Despite reading the many suggestions and asking for assistance from the support staff....my problem is still very much with me! The shutting down of the program -when I access the sibling menu -at irregular intervals is very frustrating. I would think that TMG would have figured out the cause by now...surely. Perhaps the Vs 7.0 is a bit too techical. I have used the previous versions for years and they have been more than adequate for my needs. Can anyone from the support staff suggest a cause....and, more importnatly for me, a solution to this problem?

Many thanks