bil

Problems with version 7

I wonder if there is some memory allocation issues with the program.

I occasionally get a crash when adding a new person and "Alt-Tab"-ing between programs.

I have another really weird issue. When TMG7 is open, my "send mail" fails from Thunderbird - it shows an Outgoing Mail Server problem. As soon as I close TMG, I am able to send email !!!

For the 'crash' when adding a new person, try unchecking 'Allow for Multiple Monitors' in Preferences > Other. You can still use multiple monitors. Sometimes when that is checked the Add Person screen will open up out of sight and the menus are dimmed. Pressing the Escape button will free up the menus and allow you to continue.

Does TMG have permission in your anti-virus program to go online (required for its Message Manager)? Maybe that is somehow impacting Thunderbird?

Virginia

Please help! Despite reading the many suggestions and asking for assistance from the support staff....my problem is still very much with me! The shutting down of the program -when I access the sibling menu -at irregular intervals is very frustrating. I would think that TMG would have figured out the cause by now...surely. Perhaps the Vs 7.0 is a bit too techical. I have used the previous versions for years and they have been more than adequate for my needs. Can anyone from the support staff suggest a cause....and, more importnatly for me, a solution to this problem?

I already responded above that the Siblings window issue should be fixed in v7.01.

The work-around to avoid the shutdown is simple. Don't navigate to siblings using the Siblings window. Double-click to a parent and then double-click to the appropriate child.

For the 'crash' when adding a new person, try unchecking 'Allow for Multiple Monitors' in Preferences > Other. You can still use multiple monitors. Sometimes when that is checked the Add Person screen will open up out of sight and the menus are dimmed. Pressing the Escape button will free up the menus and allow you to continue.

Does TMG have permission in your anti-virus program to go online (required for its Message Manager)? Maybe that is somehow impacting Thunderbird?

Virginia

'Allow for Multiple Monitors' was already unchecked & TMG has full permissions to go online.

Mark

Edited by blomble

Wow Here I thought I was the only one this was happening too

Sounds like we will have a fix but I am responding to these emails

because I have been doing alot of adding of siblings etc in the past few

weeks and noticed it getting worse but I tried some of the suggestions and it helped somewhat

Do I need to send the exact error message I have been getting to someone would that help someone find and fix the problem?

Let me know and when it happens again I will gladly send it to whomever

Thanks for the help

Luc227

For those using TMG who are OK with just ASCII characters, there are often informal systems developed to represent accented names accurately. It means using a table found online, presently. Perhaps a better way might be to have a set of transliteration tables built into TMG, in a .pdf-type format. I would gladly volunteer my time in this regard. A user-friendly one for Vietnamese, as one example, is called Vietnamese Quoted-Readable, usually abbreviated VIQR and also known as Vietnet. It is described (with supplementary references) at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_Quoted-Readable.

Edited by Mr.Kim.Sanders

I understand that GEDCOM 5.5 was specifically released in 1995 to handle even languages with unusual accents/diacritics (such as Czech, Turkish, and Vietnamese) with just an 8-bit ASCII. It relies on ANSEL fonts, which use a special set of characters in the ALT-128 to ALT-255 section.

Can you tell me how I can set the native TMG font to a GEDCOM 5.5 ANSEL layout, such as is described at http://www.ces.clemson.edu/~simms/genealogy/ll/gedcom55.pdf in Appendix D? I've set everything in the Preference fields to display using an ANSEL-type font (AlaBas is the one I found online), but some screens display only in Tahoma. How can I fix this?

The only font typeface selections are on the Lists and Project Explorer tabs in Preferences. Any other font selections come from the operating system Display settings.

Also note that TMG7 is an ANSI application and only supports ANSI characters.

Actually, technically, the latest non-Unicode ANSEL (used with GEDCOM 5.5) is known as ANSI Z39.47-1985. So, ANSEL characters are actually all ANSI, by definition.

I wonder how to enable ANSEL-encoding on my computer. I am using a Windows XP. That would allow me to change the Windows-1252 (Latin-1) display to ANSEL. Then the only issue would be whether the Data Entry screen would show the Croatian soft c as ć or, sensibly for easy-editing, as ´c.

Edited by Mr.Kim.Sanders

Please help! Despite reading the many suggestions and asking for assistance from the support staff....my problem is still very much with me! The shutting down of the program -when I access the sibling menu -at irregular intervals is very frustrating. I would think that TMG would have figured out the cause by now...surely. Perhaps the Vs 7.0 is a bit too techical. I have used the previous versions for years and they have been more than adequate for my needs. Can anyone from the support staff suggest a cause....and, more importnatly for me, a solution to this problem?

I already responded above that the Siblings window issue should be fixed in v7.01.

The work-around to avoid the shutdown is simple. Don't navigate to siblings using the Siblings window. Double-click to a parent and then double-click to the appropriate child.

"The work-around to avoid the shutdown is simple. Don't navigate to siblings using the Siblings window. Double-click to a parent and then double-click to the appropriate child."

Surely a program with all the Bells and Whistles that TMG v 7.0 is supposed to have can be more efficient than this? When one is performing a lot of data entry it used to be much simpler (in version 6)to go directly to the siblings window than having the added navigation to the parents window and then down to the child.

Any idea of a time-frame for an improved updated version?

I've just upgraded to Version 7.01 and I am still getting the FoxPro error upon using the Siblings window -- not every time, but randomly.

:(

I hope it'll be fixed in the next update?

I've just upgraded to Version 7.01 and I am still getting the FoxPro error upon using the Siblings window -- not every time, but randomly.

Yes...I now have version 7.01 and the problem is still not fixed. I wonder why such an annoying problem is so hard to fix?

Yes...I now have version 7.01 and the problem is still not fixed. I wonder why such an annoying problem is so hard to fix?

Hi,

I'm not a TMG developer, but I have done my share of database development in my day, and I suspect that the answer to your question is probably in a word you used in your post just before this one...

"randomly"

Random errors are typically a great deal harder to fix than readily repeatable ones. If a programmer can replicate a problem over and over again, the source of the problem can be tracked down and repaired. But random errors can lead a programmer on a merry chase.

Mike Daugherty

Frederick, Maryland

It seems to be occurring more than just randomly for me now. It shuts down more than 50% of the time when clicking on a sibling window. It's ok if I remember to go to the parent and then down to the child...but, as it does work at times....and because old habits are hard to stop ...I go to the more convenient Sibling Window and , more often than not it crashes.

I hope that it can be fixed soon

Sadly, this problem is still occuring in version 7.03.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a solution? Please....

Guest Michael Dietz
Sadly, this problem is still occuring in version 7.03.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a solution? Please....

I was experiencing the problem but found out that if I would slow down my clicking things worked much better. I would click on the sibling, pause a few microseconds to let the focus be changed to that person, and then click again. The shutdown went away. I think there is so much behind the scenes activity going on that if I click too fast, that activity has not completed which causes the error leading to the abort.

Mike