JohnR

F3 changed?

Has the F3 function been changed in the Citation Detail field? I am sure that in V6 I could select a source and then F3/repeat the previous details. In V7 F3 in the Citation Detail field also changes the Source to the previous Source.

The reason I like to repeat previous citation details with a different source is in Census where the year changes but the ward, county etc stay the same.

In the Citation screen, the F3 "Repeat" function has always treated the source number and citation detail fields together (at least since TMG 4). Pressing F3 in either field recalls the values of both.

I assume the reasoning is that the CD is likely to apply only to the source for which it was created, and thus avoids accidentally getting the wrong CD for a source.

In the Citation screen, the F3 "Repeat" function has always treated the source number and citation detail fields together (at least since TMG 4). Pressing F3 in either field recalls the values of both.

I assume the reasoning is that the CD is likely to apply only to the source for which it was created, and thus avoids accidentally getting the wrong CD for a source.

Then that might explain some of my mad Sources/CDs, which I had thought were signs of the onset of senility. I had assumed that the repeat function was field specific as I thought it said in the TMG 6 Help:

With your cursor in any field except a memo field, you can select Edit > Repeat Field Value or press <F3> to repeat the previous entry that was made in that field. When you are entering a lot of data from a particular source this can save you a great deal of time.

Lookup: Repeat Keys, Field Values, List Field Values, Edit Menu

But look at Help for the Citation screen. about a third of the way down it says in a large box:

"NOTE: works differently in the Source and Citation Detail fields on the Citation screen than it does anywhere else in the program. Specifically, when used in either of these fields, it populates both of them, unlike its use in all other fields, where it populates only the current field."

There is a similar special rule for the F2 key and places - in that case, F2 doen't just fill the field you use it in, but also all higher ranking fields as well.

Both are covered in my Data Entry Tutorial.

Both are covered in my Data Entry Tutorial.

Thank you Terry. Both the help file you mention and your helpful Data Entry Tutorial were written after TMG for Windows 95, or was it DOS, came out. This old dog is obviously stuck in his bad habits. Could your next book please be entitled "TMG For Oldies"

Seriously though, I copy below the whole of the entry in the TMG 6 Repeat Field Value help screen; it is rather misleading in light of your comments.

John

Repeat Field Value

With your cursor in any field except a memo field, you can select Edit > Repeat Field Value or press <F3> to repeat the previous entry that was made in that field. When you are entering a lot of data from a particular source this can save you a great deal of time.

Lookup: Repeat Keys, Field Values, List Field Values, Edit Menu

Wholly Genes, Inc.