John Cardinal

View New Posts Not Working

In the past day, "View New Posts" has stopped working properly. Actually, the problem could be the "Mark All Posts as Read" function. Whatever. Here's what happens.

• I use "View New Posts" to see the new posts.
  • I review the posts.
  • I click "Mark all posts as read".
  • I use "View New Posts" a few minutes later to see if there is any new posts and I get the same list I saw before.

If I logoff and then logon again, View New Posts appears to work properly.

It has actually worked like this forever. The read topics eventually are removed from the new posts list. There is some sort of time factor (2 hours after being marked as read?). What you follow are the new posts highlighted in orange and ignore those that you have marked as read.

I am positive I saw different behavior. My usual mode of operating has been to click the View New Posts link immediately after clicking Mark All Posts as Read. The View New Posts results would be empty, not the same results as before.

The two-hour delay would be harder to implement than emptying the list immediately, which makes me suspicious of that explanation. Plus, the new posts results do get reset by a logoff/logon.

Maybe I am going crazy.

I am positive I saw different behavior. My usual mode of operating has been to click the View New Posts link immediately after clicking Mark All Posts as Read. The View New Posts results would be empty, not the same results as before.

I've always had the residue. I never log off but do close the browser between visits. It's now been several hours since my last visit and the residue has cleared.

The two-hour delay would be harder to implement than emptying the list immediately, which makes me suspicious of that explanation. Plus, the new posts results do get reset by a logoff/logon.

I agree that logging off/on clears the residue. That's always been the case. I just had 6 new posts. Clicked mark all forums as read. Clicked view new posts again. The 6 items are still there as residue but now marked as read. (Back after a few more hours and the 6 residual items are gone.)

Maybe I am going crazy.

Sounds about right to me. :lol: