Stephen Hansen

flag duplication and flag manager errors

Using version 7 I have created several additional flags, some of those suggested by Terry Reigel. I recently moved a number of records to a second dataset and then back again. I didn't notice it immediately, but apparently the additional flags were duplicated during each move so that in the end there were three copies of each added flag (i.e. BIRTH ORDER was not duplicated, but RELATED BY appeared three times). The surplus copies of those flags do not appear to have the values of the originals copied, they're all "?".

When I tried to delete the extra copies of those flags, I was able to delete the first couple but now the flag manager generates a "Variable 'FLAG15' is not found. 373 FRMFLAGMANAGER.MOK" error. Clicking the Retry or Ignore buttons just reissues the error, Abort dismisses the error window but the flag manager remains wedged at 0% progress. The only way out is to use the task manager to shut down the application.

Running the Maintenance file check didn't find any problems but a subsequent attempt to delete the extra flags ran into the same problem.

I am running the 32 bit version of Windows XP Pro/ SP2 with up-to-date patches.

Before I go back to my most recent backup and try to regenerate the subsequent changes can you suggest some way to get rid of those duplicate flags?