hawnsmith

Convert v6 to v7

I am very confused about how to transfer my projects to v7 without losing all the preferences and features that I have created in v6. When I try to simply open the project in v7, I get an error that says I have my files in an area that is reserved for program files and I have to move them to either my user space or a common user space.

Have you read the topic at the top of this forum titled "Pinned: Important Upgrade Instructions"? It has an outline of important points, and refers to the Help article that explains it all in more detail.

"

Have you read the topic at the top of this forum titled "Pinned: Important Upgrade Instructions"? It has an outline of important points, and refers to the Help article that explains it all in more detail.

Terry, I confess that I am at a loss on this forum. I never can find anything. Before I wrote, I searched in vain for help and couldn't find anything. I read your reply and still couldn't find the topic "Pinned: Important Upgrade Instructions." I even did a topic search using your words exactly and I still don't come up with anything. I confess to being completely boggled by this forum. I've been to graduate school and yet, I can't seem to figure out how to find information here and I usually end up asking some kind soul personally. I hate to bother you, but would you please tell me exactly how to get to the article you suggested?

BTW, I finally figured out the conversion issue by myself. Now, I'd just like to learn how to use the forum. Is there one place where all the topics are listed? Anne

Start in the "The Master Genealogist v7" Forum - where you posted this topic. (If you have trouble finding it, click those words in the bold black print at the top of this page).

At the top of the TMG V7 forum there is a section labeled "Important Topics" with two topics in it. They are "pinned" so they stay there and don't move off as new topics are posted. All the other topics started by users are in the second section, labeled "Forum Topics." That's the section where you posted this topic.

The one I was trying to direct you to is the first on in the "Important Topics" section.

If all else fails, click here. :)

More generally, there are three "main" sections to the forum. The first is called "News and Information." That's not for users to post messages, but a place were all sorts of useful information is posted - copies of newletters, sections on various products, lists of user groups around the world, frequently asked questions - that sort of thing.

The second section is the "Support Forum." That's where you ask questions, or read the questions posted by others and responses. There are subsections for each product. You correctly posted in the V7 section to ask about version 7. There is a search function that lets you try to find a previous post on the subject you have a question about. The problem is figuring out what term to search for - you have to use terms that the previous poster used in order to find the topic. You can also look down the list of previous topics to see if you find what you are looking for. But if you don't there's no harm in posting a new question.

The final section is called "Other" which just means its a collection of subsections that don't fit in the two above. A practice forum where you can try out the posting an answering process, a forum to talk about the forum itself (I suppose this part of you question could well fit there), one about users' websites, one about WG cruises, etc.

Hope this gives you some sort of framework that's helpful.

Terry, thank you so much! I feel like a dunce. I didn't scroll down far enough once I got to "News and Information." I expected the information to be in that group and chose "Frequently Asked Questions" first and then went to the other 4 topics. I guess I must have been in FAQ when I did the search. I now feel like I have a map and can figure out where to go for the information I need.

You're welcome, Ann.

You needn't feel like a dunce, Even though I've used several different forums for different products, I still get lost in several of them. I guess there's enough difference in layouts among them that one has to get used to each one.