Gramateri

upgrading V5 project

I just purchased my new V7. Have used TMG since 1997 but I've been out of my research for some time. Old computer died and I don't want to try and find my V5 and reinstall it. V7 says I have to back up first with V5 and then restore. I've made a copy of the old project.

Is there ANY way I can open my project without reinstalling my old TMG version? :unsure:

Also, I keep getting something about "Wordperfect Office 2002 OEM" disk? What's that about?

Thanks for the help!

Sorry, can't help you with that....but I would like to add that after installing V7 on my laptop I now get messages to insert my Microsoft Office Install disk when starting TMG......

Guest PhilDee
I just purchased my new V7. Have used TMG since 1997 but I've been out of my research for some time. Old computer died and I don't want to try and find my V5 and reinstall it. V7 says I have to back up first with V5 and then restore. I've made a copy of the old project.

Is there ANY way I can open my project without reinstalling my old TMG version? :unsure:

Also, I keep getting something about "Wordperfect Office 2002 OEM" disk? What's that about?

Thanks for the help!

Do you have a TMG backup of your V5 project data? It will be a file with a .SQZ extension. In that case there would be no need to reinstall V5. You can simply RESTORE that file to TMG V7.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support

Phil, That's the problem, I don't have all the project into SQZ files. I have full copies of them in other locations, just not SQZ. :(

Thanks for the help!

Do you have a TMG backup of your V5 project data? It will be a file with a .SQZ extension. In that case there would be no need to reinstall V5. You can simply RESTORE that file to TMG V7.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support

No .SQZ? Eyeeewwww.

Did you previously send a free GEDCOM to the free rootsweb site?

It would be possible to import a GEDCOM to an empty project, but it wouldn't be as clean as from a TMG backup, of course.

What do you mean by "other locations"? Now you know. The most important location is a backup file.

Did you have an exhibit or text memo in MS Word or Word Perfect or something? I'm not sure why TMG would even care. Mine doesn't.

(The preference does indicate whether you want to use the WORD spell checker. Perhaps that's it.)

Other than that, it would be possible to do a copy/paste, one field at a time.

Edited by retsof

The staff of Wholly Genes may have some other solution, but I would suggest just installing your old TMG Version 5 if you still have the download file. You won't have to worry about actually activating it since all versions have had a 30 day free trial period. You could just install, open your old project, back everything up to a SQZ file using the File > Backup menu action, and then remove Version 5. Then you can restore your V5 project backup in V7.

Do you still have the download file of the appropriate V5 version? If not, maybe Wholly Genes can point you to a download URL.

Hope this gives you ideas,

I'm thinking that's what I'll have to do. Hope it solves that other problem of TMG wanating to find the Wordperfect OEM disk as well. That one is just weird!

Thanks all for the help.

Guess I need to backup up to a SQZ each time I use the program.

Gramateri

The staff of Wholly Genes may have some other solution, but I would suggest just installing your old TMG Version 5 if you still have the download file. You won't have to worry about actually activating it since all versions have had a 30 day free trial period. You could just install, open your old project, back everything up to a SQZ file using the File > Backup menu action, and then remove Version 5. Then you can restore your V5 project backup in V7.

Do you still have the download file of the appropriate V5 version? If not, maybe Wholly Genes can point you to a download URL.

Hope this gives you ideas,