ShaneMBaker

Bug in Descendant Box Chart

Gidday

I'm finding that V7 won't create a Descendancy box chart! VCF appears for a moment - then nothing.

I have to say that I find V7 flakey. I've already installed it twice.

I couldn't recommend this upgrade as things stand.

Shane Baker

Canberra

Shane,

Which Operating System are you installing TMG v7 on? (W2K, XP or Vista)

Have you installed to the default folder paths?

Are you outputing to "View in Visual Chartform"?

I have not seen this effect on W2K or XP, don't have Vista to check.

Try again with a reset report configuration.

Shane, try resetting the report configuration to its defaults, using the Delete button under the configuration name.

Virginia

Thanks Virginia.

I tried that - with the same resuilt.

Regards

Hi Robin

Shane,

XP - with all the latest patches.

Yes - I'm outputting to VCF - or trying to.

FYI: I just uninstalled and reinstalled (for the second time). This time, apart from the location of my data and image files, I let TMG have its head. I also recovered backup up data from V6.12 (thus losing some work). Same result!!

Regards

Hi Robin

Shane,

XP - with all the latest patches.

Yes - I'm outputting to VCF - or trying to.

FYI: I just uninstalled and reinstalled (for the second time). This time, apart from the location of my data and image files, I let TMG have its head. I also recovered backup up data from V6.12 (thus losing some work). Same result!!

Regards

Ok - this is weird.

This applies to some in my database, but not others. I've run TMG's file checking (more than once) and it can't find fault with my data.

Regards

I don't know what to say. This sounds like a project not an install problem. Are you trying to include images in your chart? Have you looked at the files in the logs folder to see whether there are any clues? DLLs or OCX that did not register, etc.

Does your project work as you expect on someone else's computer?

I also recovered backup up data from V6.12 (thus losing some work).
Why thus? Work should not be lost by restoring a new V7 project from a V6.12 .SQZ backup.

Gidday Robin

I don't know what to say. This sounds like a project not an install problem. Are you trying to include images in your chart? Have you looked at the files in the logs folder to see whether there are any clues? DLLs or OCX that did not register, etc.

The reports work if images are disabled. Switch images on and the same nil result!

I've tried deleting all images associated with a record and re-selecting them - but no good.

I can't easiuly try the data on another users machine, and you've lost me on the logs folder comment.

Thanks for your help so far!

Gidday Robin

The reports work if images are disabled. Switch images on and the same nil result!

I've tried deleting all images associated with a record and re-selecting them - but no good.

I can't easiuly try the data on another users machine, and you've lost me on the logs folder comment.

Thanks for your help so far!

Yes, it's me again.

Incredible that I didn't check this first, but there you go! <blush>

The same thing happens with TMG v 6.12. Descendancy report for my great grandfather (and some others) will run if images are disabled - but not with. Clearly Robin's corrupt data hypothosis is spot on.

Any suggestions regarding what's wrong - and how I can fix it?

TIA

Maybe you can isolate the problem by trying one generation at a time with images. Could the paths to the images be overly long?

Virginia

Thanks Virginia.

All the image files are in the same location: G:\TMG_Images . I can't imagine that's the problem.

Also, it's not a generational thing either. For example: As previously mentioned, I can't produce a report with images for one of my great grandparents. Then, of their 4 children (including my grandmother) I can produce descendancy reports for two of them.

MOST confusing.

Regards and thanks

Maybe you can isolate the problem by trying one generation at a time with images. Could the paths to the images be overly long?

Virginia

Thanks Virginia.

All the image files are in the same location: G:\TMG_Images . I can't imagine that's the problem.

Also, it's not a generational thing either. For example: As previously mentioned, I can't produce a report with images for one of my great grandparents. Then, of their 4 children (including my grandmother) I can produce descendancy reports for two of them.

MOST confusing.

Regards and thanks

VCF is the major reason that I'm an avid TMG fan. I have had no problems with TMG6 or TMG7 VCF charts. I did have trouble with TMG5-VCF, but learned it was a memory thing. When I upgraded to half a gig, the VCF problems went away. I'm still running with half-gig and Windows XP home.

To grasp at straws, what format are your troublesome exhibits? All of mine are JPG with a few in BMP. All 10,000+ TMG associated exhibits reside in C:\tmgex. My C drive has 170 spare Gigs.

(a thinner straw) Does the VCF ancestor or hourglass chart work with your same troublesome people?

Good luck and best wishes,

Mike Talbot

I can't produce a report with images for one of my great grandparents. Then, of their 4 children (including my grandmother) I can produce descendancy reports for two of them.

That sounds to me like there is a problem with that one image - I'd look at what's different about it. Could there be some issue with the image file itself?

Virginia

Thanks Virginia.

MOST confusing.

Regards and thanks

VCF is the major reason that I'm an avid TMG fan. I have had no problems with TMG6 or TMG7 VCF charts. I did have trouble with TMG5-VCF, but learned it was a memory thing. When I upgraded to half a gig, the VCF problems went away. I'm still running with half-gig and Windows XP home.

To grasp at straws, what format are your troublesome exhibits? All of mine are JPG with a few in BMP. All 10,000+ TMG associated exhibits reside in C:\tmgex. My C drive has 170 spare Gigs.

(a thinner straw) Does the VCF ancestor or hourglass chart work with your same troublesome people?

Mike Talbot

Gidday Mike

All my exhibits are JPEGs - created in PhotoShop. My computer has heaps of resources: 2 G RAM and plenty of disc space.

I've just worked through 4 generations - starting with me, then my mother, grandmother, her brother and my great grandfather. Tabulated results are here: http://klem.site.net.au/TMG_Box_Chart_Results.html

Note that I can create ancestry charts (with images) across all generations, but when I inject descendants. either as a straight descendancy chart or an hourglass chart, VCF falls over. So the same images in some reports won't apparently work in other reports. Also, note that reports for my grandmother don't work, but her brother's do!

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Regards

Virginia

Thanks Virginia.

MOST confusing.

Regards and thanks

Mike Talbot

Gidday Mike

All my exhibits are JPEGs - created in PhotoShop. My computer has heaps of resources: 2 G RAM and plenty of disc space.

I've just worked through 4 generations - starting with me, then my mother, grandmother, her brother and my great grandfather. Tabulated results are here: http://klem.site.net.au/TMG_Box_Chart_Results.html

Note that I can create ancestry charts (with images) across all generations, but when I inject descendants. either as a straight descendancy chart or an hourglass chart, VCF falls over. So the same images in some reports won't apparently work in other reports. Also, note that reports for my grandmother don't work, but her brother's do!

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Regards

I use Corel Photo-Paint for most of my JPG image preparation, I don't think that this is relevent, but who knows?

You are homing in on what is not your problem. It is not a program (other than one not protecting itself from bad data). I agree with Terry, the only obvious thing left is that TMG/VCF does not like one or more of your individual primary image files, perhaps corrupt.

You have proved that the images of all of your ancestors are good, and that the descendants of one g.uncle are good. The bad primary image(s) must be of a different aunt/uncle or their descendant(s) or your sibling or descendant.

My sugestion,

make all of your suspect relatives, aunts, uncles images "not primary" except for the g.uncle and his descendants that work. Run the offending VCF chart and add back your relatives one at a time, until the chart fails. Replace the suspected bad image with a new and different one. If the image is corrupted, relinking it won't help. Rerun the chart.

You know your data better than I, so you might be able to devise a bad image detection procedure that is less work.

Since you describe two different manners of failure, you might have more than one bad primary image, if that is the problem.

Hope this works, if not keep posting your good observations, someone will stumble on the answer,

Mike Talbot

It turned out that an image of my sister was the problem. I still have no idea what was wrong, but removing that image made my problems go away!

Thanks everyone for talking me through this problem.

Regards