khursta

How do I make a sorted marriage list

In my previous genealogy program, Heritage Family Tree Deluxe, I was able to make what was called a "sorted marriage list".

It contained their ID number, alphabetically listed husband's name, wife's name, date married and place.

It this type of list able to be made in TMG 6?

I would also like to make the same list as above with the wife's name alphabetically.

Thanks in advance.

Yep, really easy to make a report of not only this type of event in people's lives but any event that has its own TMG tag. There are probably a variety of ways to do this (as is often the case with TMG) but I would use a List of Events report. I would have the Subject(s) of the report be a Filtered group where I created a Report Filter with the conditions:

"Tag Type Group is > Marriage"

and could even choose to further filter by certain surnames. Under Report Options you can select whatever data you wish to appear in the Output Columns. To be equivalent to your previous report you would select: Prin1 ID number; Prin1 Last, Given; Prin2 ID number; Prin2 Last, Given; Date; Place. You might even want to output the tag Memo. You can have the report sorted by any column. So assuming that you have followed the typical conventions for your Marriage tags where Principal 1 is the male and Principal 2 is the female, simply run the report twice, once sorting on the Prin1 name and the second sorting on the Prin2 name. There are lots more options to this kind of report which you may wish to explore, but this should get you started.

Hope this gives you ideas,

I tried this and it "sort of" worked.

For some reason it did not pick up ALL married couples, and I am not sure why.

I checked it with the "other program" list and the people are in TMG and recorded as married but they did not show up on the TMG list.

Yep, really easy to make a report of not only this type of event in people's lives but any event that has its own TMG tag. There are probably a variety of ways to do this (as is often the case with TMG) but I would use a List of Events report. I would have the Subject(s) of the report be a Filtered group where I created a Report Filter with the conditions:

"Tag Type Group is > Marriage"

and could even choose to further filter by certain surnames. Under Report Options you can select whatever data you wish to appear in the Output Columns. To be equivalent to your previous report you would select: Prin1 ID number; Prin1 Last, Given; Prin2 ID number; Prin2 Last, Given; Date; Place. You might even want to output the tag Memo. You can have the report sorted by any column. So assuming that you have followed the typical conventions for your Marriage tags where Principal 1 is the male and Principal 2 is the female, simply run the report twice, once sorting on the Prin1 name and the second sorting on the Prin2 name. There are lots more options to this kind of report which you may wish to explore, but this should get you started.

Hope this gives you ideas,

What filter did you use?

Something must be unique about the people who didn't show up. Have you looked at some of them to see if you can figure out what it is? They do have Marriage tags, right?

Thanks Terry,

I will continue to reply on the TMG rootsweb board--easier for us all to follow on one board--I didn't know how to use that board when I first asked this question.

What filter did you use?

Something must be unique about the people who didn't show up. Have you looked at some of them to see if you can figure out what it is? They do have Marriage tags, right?

To duplicate my reply on the Rootsweb e-mail list, would you check the report options? Are you using a Filtered Group? Do some of your events contain excluded or sensitive data that would exclude them? As others have mentioned, we need more details of what you are trying to accomplish to help you. There has to be something about those marriages that are excluding them.