i am new to TMG, what would be the best way to note the informant on a death certificate??

in notes?

comment tag of deceased?

witness tag of informant?

i would be interested to know how others handle recording that information....

thanks

Kristina

Kristina,

I would use a custom role in the Death tag. If you know the relationship, you might want to mention that in the memo, like: John's son, James was listed as the informant. That would explain why John's parents names are unknown, since James was adopted by John when he was fifteen and never met his adopted paternal grandparents.

thanks Theresa, I will try that and see if i can do that,

i have your Ghee stuff too, still need to finish labeling the photos, and mail them, been working on the article for marshall county heritage book,

i am new to TMG, what would be the best way to note the informant on a death certificate??

in notes?

comment tag of deceased?

Primarily a death certificate is a source. I generally put the name and relationship of the informant in the Comments field of the source definition, and include the [COMMENTS] element in the full footnote.

On those rare occasions when I find it significant that an informant was living at the time of the death, I either use a custom Informant tag, or a Residence tag to record the fact.

Actually, I think both Teresa and Terry are right :rolleyes: I do both.

My source citations of death records includes all the available information. My custom is to use the Citation Detail for the page number or certificate number etc. and the specifics of the death such as date, place, cause. I then use the Citation Memo for other information from that source, such as informant. I have added the Citation Memo to most of my source templates. Then, if the informant is a person I want in my dataset (which is usual as informants are usually relations) I also link them to the death tag as a Witness with their own Witness Memo, possibly using a Role for that witness as Teresa suggests.

in notes?

comment tag of deceased?

i would be interested to know how others handle recording that information....

thanks

Kristina

Krystina,

The advantage of specifying a witness role of "Informant" is that you can quickly link to the witness's individual record from the death tag, without having to do a search for that person (if you have just noted the individual's name in a memo or citation text). In addition, the informant's individual record will show that he/she was "active" (alive) after the deceased had died.

I like to have everyone associated with an event tag to be linked with a specific role. If there is no appropriate role for a tag, I create a custom role for the tag.

Pierce

i have your Ghee stuff too, still need to finish labeling the photos, and mail them, been working on the article for marshall county heritage book,

Any time. I am snowed under right now with house remodeling. :rolleyes:

I have two new cemeteries to get online. Maybe I will just take a night to myself and work on that. One is only two stones, so it shouldn't take long. ALways so much to do, so little time. :blink:

Amen to 'so much to do....so little time' Teresa! I think they should forget this extension of Daylight Savings Time and get on with creating 48-hour days......maybe then we could fit most of it in? :thumbsup:

B)

Joan

Any time. I am snowed under right now with house remodeling. :rolleyes:

I have two new cemeteries to get online. Maybe I will just take a night to myself and work on that. One is only two stones, so it shouldn't take long. ALways so much to do, so little time. :blink: