BoricuaSeeker

External VS. Internal Exhibits

I would like to know what are the Pro's and Con's of Internal and External exhibits? What are most of you using and why? I like the fact that with internal exhibits a copy is saved in the database and when you backup your database you have all your exhibits and data in the sqz file.

Pros for external (whihch I use exclusively).

1) Don't need to back up with TMG, which means I back TMG up more often.

2) Can be used with Second Site

3) Technically could be on another drive, but I haven't tried this to see how well it works.

4) If you edit one outside of TMG the changes are immediately seen in TMG.

Cons for external.

None that I have found.

Pros for internal.

1)Backup with TMG.

Cons for internal.

1) Exhibit sizes affects TMG backup and of course the speed at which it happens.

2) Can't be used with Second Site.

I have about 7 GB of pictures. I would hate to have to wait for a TMG backup if I were backing those up each time. They are backed up to an external drive and I have them on CDs. No need to back them up each time I back up TMG since they aren't changing.

I would like to know what are the Pro's and Con's of Internal and External exhibits? What are most of you using and why? I like the fact that with internal exhibits a copy is saved in the database and when you backup your database you have all your exhibits and data in the sqz file.

I use external exhibits exclusively. I back up my TMG project at least daily, and sometimes more often than that. As the number of images attached to the project grows, internal exhibits can create sqz files that are truly enormous. Also, TMG offers a parameter during the backup process which allows me to include external exhibits in the backup if I wish. I use that once in a while and copy the resulting huge sqz file to CD for safekeeping.

Mike Daugherty

Frederick, Maryland

Has anyone else noticed that even if you UNcheck "Ask next time" when asked if you want external or internal it still asks you?

Grumble... The setting appears to be completely non-functional. Whatever your current setting, it doesn't change when you select a different radio button. Submitted a bug report.