half pint

Error Message Showing When Backing Up Project

Hi

When I back up my project, the following message appears:

"Input file read failure - this occurs when a file read operation is performed on a Zip file that is locked or restricted by another process"

I only have the one project, besides the Sample projects that come with TMG 7 and am manually entering all my information ie no gedcoms etc have been added, also all my exhibits are single items that are added as and when they are appropriate.

What I am trying to say is that I have not added a Zip File and do not know where to even start looking for it.

If someone could suggest what my next step is, I would really appreciate it.

Regards

Half Pint

Lin -

That is a generic backup error message - and confusing. It often means that you are trying to backup TMG directly to an external medium - like a CD or thumb drive. If that is the case, make your backup to your local drive and copy the .sqz file to your backup medium. If not that, let us know -

Virginia

Lin -

That is a generic backup error message - and confusing. It often means that you are trying to backup TMG directly to an external medium - like a CD or thumb drive. If that is the case, make your backup to your local drive and copy the .sqz file to your backup medium. If not that, let us know -

Virginia

Hi Virginia

Many thanks for your suggestion. I tried it and it worked, as I knew it would.

Going back to our earlier messages, I have now re-keyed just over 500 of my 1600 people into V7 and am still thoroughly enjoying every minute, even straying and researching lines that I hadn't taken further.

I can set up initial flags, but have not quite sorted in my head how I can set up a flag to find as an example "all people born before the 1841 census." So I set up over 30 flags when I started re-keying everyone and connected these to accent groups and they work wonderfully ie if I feel like having a night looking at census indexes I just load the Census Accent and it gives me a different colour for each one missing for everyone, or if I want to spend a night on the IGI I have set up my flags to differentiate between those bmds that are post 1837 and need registration indexes, it is so simple.

The only program that I have found that has anything at all better than TMG is the Research Log on Legacy (and even that isn't perfect) so my one wish would be to have ours a little more like that one but it is such a little wish that its worth waiting for.

I hope your research is going as well as mine.

Again many thanks for your time.

Regards

Half Pint

...snip...

I can set up initial flags, but have not quite sorted in my head how I can set up a flag to find as an example "all people born before the 1841 census."

Your question is exactly the kind of "how do I do ..." that this forum is great at answering. None of us can keep in our head all the possible features of TMG.

Setting flags based on a filter like you mentioned is one of the really great features of TMG. I am constantly creating temporary flags, setting them based on a filter, then deleting them when I don't want them anymore. (Remember to Optimize your project regularly.) For example, look at the Report Options for both the List of People report and the List of Events report. Check out the Secondary Output tab where it has the option to Change a Flag value. You can set up a filter for such a report, and instead of actually printing the report you can change the value of a flag based on which people in your dataset match that filter criteria. A really great capability. For example, you could chose a List of Events report, where any Birth group event date was before 1842 but after say 1741 and death not before 1841 and change a flag. Experiment. I think you will find something like this will do what you want.

Hope this gives you ideas,

...snip...

I can set up initial flags, but have not quite sorted in my head how I can set up a flag to find as an example "all people born before the 1841 census."

Your question is exactly the kind of "how do I do ..." that this forum is great at answering. None of us can keep in our head all the possible features of TMG.

Setting flags based on a filter like you mentioned is one of the really great features of TMG. I am constantly creating temporary flags, setting them based on a filter, then deleting them when I don't want them anymore. (Remember to Optimize your project regularly.) For example, look at the Report Options for both the List of People report and the List of Events report. Check out the Secondary Output tab where it has the option to Change a Flag value. You can set up a filter for such a report, and instead of actually printing the report you can change the value of a flag based on which people in your dataset match that filter criteria. A really great capability. For example, you could chose a List of Events report, where any Birth group event date was before 1842 but after say 1741 and death not before 1841 and change a flag. Experiment. I think you will find something like this will do what you want.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Hi Michael

There are two main reasons why this database is to me, simply the best.

When you first download the trial version it appears to be so very very daunting, but if you stick with it, you suddenly realize that it can actually grow with you, from being a complete novice to being a boffin in your own time and in your own way, which means that you can grow as your research grows without having to either purchase or use any other program.

The other reason is probably the biggest and most important, the help and suggestions that is out here for everyone is sometimes beyond words. I know that at times, the questions I have asked may seem very "dumb" [but at the time they were important to me] and they have always been answered in minutes by both other users and the support staff with generosity and never have they patronised me, which I know has happened to other people using other databases.

I haven't got into the report side of it yet, as I am still concentrating on my rekeying [silly me when using V6 innocently imported a corrupt gedcom]. The problem was found by technical support just as V7 was launched so I bought it and am now manually re-keying everything back. Some people would probably look on this as a chore but I have definitely not thought this as my learning curve is so great that I haven't got time nor inclination to go along that route.

When I do get to that point I will definitely take on board what you have suggested but I must admit that although I cannot be classed as "a frilly girlie" I do like all the accent colours showing on my screen [lol]. it makes it look as though I have done more work than I have.

Again many thanks for taking the time to reply to my email.

Regards

Half Pint

Edited by half pint

I haven't got into the report side of it yet, as I am still concentrating on my rekeying...[snip]...
I would urge you not to wait too long before trying out the reports. Even using the default formats as a review to screen are extremely helpful. I think you will find that how things look in reports will affect how you want to do your data entry. As you are already finding, rekeying can be a chore, so you might want to key things in the first time to be closer to what you will want in reports and save having to redo quite so much later. Just a suggestion.
Again many thanks for taking the time to reply to my email.
You are most welcome, and as you learn things I have not tried I look forward to your contributions on the forum in the future.