donrange

Macro for Journal Report Exhibit Processing in Microsoft Word

I have written a macro that executes in Word 2003 to automate some of the Word editing steps I use for picture exhibits in TMG-generated Journal Reports. With certain preparations in TMG before the report is sent to Word, the macro allows both person image exhibits and event image exhibits to be sent to Word with captions and, optionally with source citations. It assembles each image, caption, and citation (if any) into a unit that can manually be dragged or otherwise repositioned in Word after the macro has run. It also incorporates the captioned figures into Word's figure numbering system so that they are automatically numbered and can be referenced in a Table of Figures that shows figure numbers, captions, and page numbers. Figure and page numbers are updated by Word if the figures are relocated or deleted by later editing in Word. The macro also has an option to resize pictures to a standard height.

The preparations in TMG involve appending a special suffix onto the caption of each person exhibit so the macro can recognize it. TMG Utility can automate this, or they can be manually entered that way. TMG Utility can also undo the changes. For event exhibits the caption is placed in the memo of the event tag to which the exhibit is attached, and the sentence for image-holding tags is set to a particular string. Some added steps are used to accommodate optional source citations.

The macro, called "FixPix", is available as a free download to any TMG users who would like to use it. A more detailed description and links to download have been placed on a website at http://www.home.earthlink.net/~drange.macro

I hope other TMG users will find FixPix to be a helpful tool when working with TMG's Journal Reports.

Don Range

Looks good, and something that I certainly will make use of.

Thanks for making this available,

Dan