Bob3

Master Source List TMG v7

This is a geneaology 101 question, but I am having difficulty with terminology when entering in the Master Source List (MSL). For example, the MSL has selections for Birth Registration (State Level) and Birth Registration (Local Level). It asks for File Date and File Number. In looking at my birth certificate, I see that it has a State File No. and Date, a Local Registrar No. and Date, and another number (possibly Document No.?). I don't know if I should be selecting Birth Registration (State Level), or both the state and local levels...using both selection. If only the state level, which number would I choose, the State File No. or the other number (Document No.?)? In addition, there is also the date when the certificate was issued to me, some 30+ years after my birth. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

I find it really appropriate to use the file date. I am adopted and my (adopted) birth certificate has a file date of several years after my physical birth (actually it is the date of finalization of the adoption). Often such a file date can be a clue to a similar circumstance. I try to use the Local Registrar file date (which is usually a couple of days earlier than the State file date) as this is most likely to be the "as of" date of the data in the certificate.

As a general guideline, for all sources I find I try to record everything that the source tells me. Often I am unaware of the value of a piece of data at the time but find that nugget of information vital to opening a research door later.

Hope this gives you ideas,