whbos

Crashes--Two Different Bugs

When I tried to backup my project and I came to the last window after finalizing all of my settings, TMG v7 locked up. In the upper left-hand corner of the window it shows the old Windows flag (something from the days of Windows 3.1). When I try to close the program out, it won't close. I get an error message related to FoxPro. I thought version 7 had gotten past FoxPro and into the 21st Century. FoxPro never was a good database--now or then! If I had known it was still based on FoxPro I never would have upgraded. :angry:

I reopened TMG7 after rebooting because every time I tried to close the damn program I couldn't get rid of either the FoxPro message or the Windows message to either Retry or Switch To. I thought I'd check for an update in case I missed something. When selecting "Check for an update" from the Help menu, TMG closes, checks for an update, then doesn't reopen. :o

Opened it, closed it without backing up, and got the same Windows message asking whether to Retry or Switch To. Switch To what?

Edited by whbos

I experimented a little by uninstalling TMGv7 and installing TMGv6, but the latter had the same problem. I never had this problem before. I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled everything because of problems with an upgrade to Norton 360 which was the cause of problems with other programs. I noticed that if a program didn't work, I just uninstall it and reinstall it and it works just fine. It has to be installed or reinstalled after Norton 360 is installed. I mentioned this problem to Symantec (makers of Norton 360), but they ignored it.

Anyway, I thought it could be a problem with Microsoft .NET Framework so I uninstalled the 1.1 version I had on my computer and installed version 2. Version 3 I've had problems with some time ago. I can back up now in TMGv7, but when I exit the program I get a blank window with TMG still showing at the top. I have to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL and close TMGv7 out in the Windows Task Manager. Backups seem fine now.

There's a conflict somewhere and I dread having to reformat my hard drive again. No wonder people hate PCs and go to a Mac. I don't really like the Mac, but it's these frustrations with Microsoft that drive people away from the PC.

Follow Up:

I ended up reformatting my hard drive which has taken over two days to reinstall. I installed Norton 360 v1 and did not update to version 2. It seems to be working fine for now. I think the problem is with Norton 360 v2 which, as I said, I've had problems with other programs not working properly.

I wish software companies would stop depending on Microsoft programs for their own. It really causes problems especially if they are using an older version for .NET. My printer is less than two years old and uses an older version of .NET Framework and every time I try to update the driver I have problems elsewhere. It makes me want to not upgrade anything anymore.

I ended up having to upgrade from Norton 360 v1 to v2 because my virus protection was ending this month. The difference between updating an older version and upgrading to the next version was $20 so I upgraded. The upgrade is a better version. However, I still have problems closing out of TMG v7 after a backup. I have to use the Windows Task Manager to close it. It also still crashes if you check for an update within TMG.

My older programs work fine, but they have to be uninstalled and reinstalled after the Norton upgrade. I did the same for TMG, but it still fails after a backup or crashes after checking for updates. There's a conflict between the two programs and I suspect it's the MS dot Net thing because all of the problem programs use this menacing software.

Closing TMG with this method is a minor irritation, but if it continues to make backups without problems I can live with it until it gets fixed. I just hope the backups aren't corrupt.

Edited by whbos

I just updated with the first patch to TMGv7 and it still had the problem. Then I noticed another thread regarding error messages that had a remedy for that person. It detailed something about deleting the CDX files in the project, then I ran all of the tools under File>Maintenance. I performed a back up and then closed the program without any problems.