triovlaif

Saving reports to file

I am having trouble saving my reports to file. When I try to do so, I select a folder on my computer where I want the file to be stored, and TMG tells me that the folder doesn't exist. I have tried many different ways of circumventing the problem, have typed the folder location in both caps and lower case. I have tried to save the file to my desktop. But TMG will not recognize any locations on my computer. What should I do?

Found this post by searching with the key words "saving reports." I am having a similar problem with saving reports to a file--no file type will save. The file folder I'm saving to exists and TMG appears to be saving to it. When I open the file folder the file is not there. Oddly enough when I do a search in Windows it shows the file there but when I click on it I get another search window. Another search is then initiated but the search ends with a response that the link to the file doesn't exist. I have no problem saving to other formats from other software. This problem is unique to TMG (ver 6.12.000). I am using XP Home Edition. Did you every get a response to your post?

1) What is in the file type field?

2) What is in the file name field? (This should be the filename with the complete path.)

3) You are clicking the [Print & Save] button, correct? (This generates the report and also saves the report configuration.)

The [save] button only saves the report configuration and does not generate the report.

I have a similar problem in trying to save a file to disc so that I can forward it on as an attachment but their doesn't seem to be a way to do it.

Alan NZ

(1) What is in the file type field?

C:\Acrobat(PDF)

"Also tried other file formats with same result, but PDF is what I wanted."

(2) What is in the file name field? (This should be the filename with the complete path.)

D:\MYFILES\BURTON FAMILY\JACOB BURTON.pdf

"The directories in this file path exist--I used browse to get to it. The file name was typed in.

(3) You are clicking the [Print & Save] button, correct? (This generates the report and also saves the report

configuration.)

"I've done this and printed out the report--that works fine, but no PDF document is generated."

The [save] button only saves the report configuration and does not generate the report.

"Hmmm--I see the problem. Is there a way to create a file in any format of the report so it can be shared?"

(3) You are clicking the [Print & Save] button, correct? (This generates the report and also saves the report

configuration.)

"I've done this and printed out the report--that works fine, but no PDF document is generated."

Thhe "Print and Save" button only actually prints a hard copy when you have the "Print to" selector set to Printer. When you have it set to File it "prints" to a file - that is, it creates the file you are trying to create. In Version 7 that seme button is now labeled "Create Report" to try and eliminate this confusion.

After you Print and Save, have you navigated to that folder in Windows Explorer to find the .pdf file?

Do you have Windows Explorer set to show paths and file extensions? If not:

1 - From the Desktop, double-click My Computer

2 - Select Tools > Folder Options > View

3 - Select: Display the full path in the address bar

4 - Select: Display the full path in the title bar

5 - De-select: Hide extensions for known file types

Virginia

Edited by Virginia Blakelock

Terry--Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess it was not clear in my original post. I have tried every combination on the Report Definition Page including selecting the print to File option--all with the same result. Maybe I'm not in the right place because the only options once you check the print to file option are; Options, Print & Save, and Save. Neither the Print & Save nor the Save creates the specified file anywhere on the computer. I did a search using the Windows XP search tool and the file simply does not exist.

(1) What is in the file type field?

C:\Acrobat(PDF)

"Also tried other file formats with same result, but PDF is what I wanted."

(2) What is in the file name field? (This should be the filename with the complete path.)

D:\MYFILES\BURTON FAMILY\JACOB BURTON.pdf

"The directories in this file path exist--I used browse to get to it. The file name was typed in.

configuration.)

"Hmmm--I see the problem. Is there a way to create a file in any format of the report so it can be shared?"

The solution for jstiebin to saving pdf files (using Print & Save in v6.12) was installing the PDF Printer. This can be done from File > Printer Setup > Install PDF Printer or from the Properties button on the report definition screen.

Virginia