MichaelM

Backups, exhibits, reports and sync

Let me begin by outlining my setup. I have both v6 and v7 installed on my desktop. Both versions have identical directory setups for projects and exhibits. Under the root directory on my C: drive I have created a directory with two sub-directories, one for my project and the other for my exhibits. I also have a laptop on which I have verion 7 installed. The directory setup for my project and exhibits is identical to that on my desktop. Since I utilize a wireless network I usually work from my laptop pointing to the project and exhibits on my desktop. I also maintain a copy of the project and exhibits on the laptop. I do this by, on the desktop, using backup to produce a .sqz file of just the project and exhibits and then restoring them to the laptop. By using this procedure I then only need to perform a full backup on the desktop. If I were to update the project or add exhibits on the laptop then I would reverse the process.

By using the above set of procedures I have "discovered" several problems as noted below.

First, as I was performing a version 7 backup and I noticed that my external exhibits were being copied from my version 6 exhibits. I decided to review the topics for v7 and came across a posting by JOHNJ on 23 Feb. I followed the procedure outlined in his posting and it solved the problem. The one difference, maybe just not mentioned, was that when I ran Validate File Integrity I needed to check SEARCH FOR MISSING EXTERNAL EXHIBITS and then point to my v7 external exhibits. After completing the procedure I restored the v6 directories. This also seems to have resolved several other problems with exhibits. Whenever I clicked on the exhibit button for a person a series of messages involving the recreation of thumbnails would flash. Since performing the above procedure these messages no longer occur. The other problem deals with reports. If I created, on the laptop, a report with primary exhibits the exhibits wouldn't appear in the report. Again, after using the above procedure the exhibits are appearing. Note - The exhibits were appearing if I produced the report on the desktop.

The other problem I'm experiencing stands unresolved. While restoring only the project and exhibits to my laptop I am receiving the error message "Dynazip unzip error - No files to test, extract, etc. - No items match filespec". I click OK (only option) and a second message appears. The second message reads "Errors occurred during restoring: input file read failure. This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a zip file that is locked or restricted by another process". Again I clicked OK. The restore then ends. I then open the project and there does not seem to be any apparent repercussions caused by the messages.

Hopefully the first problem and resolution, thanks to JOHNJ, will help others who may be having similiar problems. And, hopefully someone can resolve the second.

In regard to your setup, I would make one comment. The best practice is to keep your data for v6 and your data for v7 completely separate from one another.

Also, there is no point to working on the same projects in two versions of the program.

The question is where the SQZ file is located when you try to restore the project to your notebook. Some users encounter the errors you have described when they try to restore to a system from external media such as a flash drive or a CD. The usual solution is to copy the SQZ file to the system on which you are doing the restore and to do the restore from the hard drive.

Jim,

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain my setup very well. On my desktop where v6 and v7 coexist, they each have their own separate set of directories. They are identical only in the sense that their structures are alike. On the laptop I only have directories for v7. I agree with you on not using the same project in two different versions of the program. I can live with the restore error messages as long as the project data and supporting data isn't being compromised.

Thanks,

Mike

I have found it wise never to ignore the error messages. There is no guarantee that everything worked correctly even if it appears so. When moving between my laptop and server I have set up a folder on each hard drive where TMG expects the backup SQZ files to be for that system. I always copy the SQZ to that folder, even when I use a flash drive to move them from one to the other. It is only one extra step and worth it for my peace of mind. Following this procedure I have never had these errors.