Kim & Kelly Derrick

Copy person between data sets

I have 4 data sets. Two of them contain some of the same people. I tried to use Copy person(s) between data sets. When I get down to the To: dropdown menu the only data set that is listed is the current data set. Why don't my other 3 data sets show in the To: drop down menu? None of my data sets are locked. :huh:

Are you sure you have four Data Sets in the same Project? I suspect you actually have four Projects. You cannot copy people between Projects, only between Data Sets.

If you aren't familiar with the difference between Projects and Data Sets, my article on Projects and Data Sets may help.

If you want to copy the people from one Project to another you will have to first Merge the Projects, leaving the data sets from each now in the same Project. You can then copy the people between the two data sets.

I have 4 data sets. Two of them contain some of the same people. I tried to use Copy person(s) between data sets. When I get down to the To: dropdown menu the only data set that is listed is the current data set. Why don't my other 3 data sets show in the To: drop down menu? None of my data sets are locked. :huh:

The data set is enabled but you helped me solve another problem. Thanks! I'm using a custom name style, but couldn't get one of my projects to automatically use it for new people. I forgot that you have to select it in the data set manager, as well as preferences. Thanks! :D

Are you sure you have four Data Sets in the same Project? I suspect you actually have four Projects. You cannot copy people between Projects, only between Data Sets.

If you aren't familiar with the difference between Projects and Data Sets, my article on Projects and Data Sets may help.

If you want to copy the people from one Project to another you will have to first Merge the Projects, leaving the data sets from each now in the same Project. You can then copy the people between the two data sets.

:huh: You're absolutely right. I have four projects. Thanks so much for clearing that up. Your website is very helpful. Now I see what I have to do. I really appreciate it! :D