strathglass

Reviewing&Fixing Address Tags? / Exporting Pictures?

Hi all:

I want to scrub all the address tags to make needed corrections.

Is there a way I can just see a list of all the address tags in the database and go through them to make corrections?

Or do I need to go through each person and find all their address tags to make changes?

(The latter is not a lot more work, but the former would be a bit more efficient.)

Also, I just bought TNG, and the output is pretty spiffy: this tool helps creates a nice web output of your family tree.

However it works from a GEDCOM file I've exported from TMG7, which of course doesn't include any photos.

Is it possible to get TMG7 to export all my photos somehow? (I'll also pursue at the TNG forums more support on this.)

Thanks!

-strathglass

As with many things in TMG there are multiple ways to accomplish this. Perhaps the simplest might be to bring up the Project Explorer (PE), and click on the "funnel-like" button to filter the PE. In the Filter you could select "Address ..." "# of Tags" ">Is greater than" 0. That would give you the list of all people with Address tags. You could then sellect them all and add them to a Focus Group to work on over multiple sessions. Alternatively, you could simply run a "List of People" report with the same filter to print out the list and check them off as you worked. Another option would be a "List of Events" report with a filter of "Tag Type..." "Label" "= Equals" "Address" and set the print options to output appropriate columns such as the Principals ID numbers, or Names, and even the date, place and memo of the tag so you could see whether it needed to be edited.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Edited by mjh

Is there a way I can just see a list of all the address tags in the database and go through them to make corrections?

Tools / Master Event List

Click on the 'Type' heading to sort by event type and the list will include all Address tags sorted together. You can select a tag and click [Edit] to edit the tag.

You can also create a list of Address tags...

List of Events

filter

Tag Type... Label = ADDRESS END

However it works from a GEDCOM file I've exported from TMG7, which of course doesn't include any photos.

By default, GEDCOM export creates tags for all 'External exhibits and audio links' that are supported by the GEDCOM specs. (Step 5: Option screen 1)

btw... You are really going out of your way to makes things difficult for yourself if you plan to create a website and don't use Second Site 2. SS uses the TMG database directly and only SS supports all TMG data.

Here are links to a huge number of websites created using SS2:

http://winters-online.net/ss2websites/

TNG is very elegant but is limited to only that data exported from TMG via GEDCOM.

As for the second part of your post, I am not familiar with TNG, but I do use Second Site. The latter was designed for use with TMG to produce extremely excellent web pages which use all the features of TMG, include exhibits and images. In my opinion, having worked on the GEDCOM standard, that format is extremely limited and intended to be a "lowest common denominator" method of transferring data. While GEDCOM can define images, the process is limited at best. Futher, you will soon discover that many of the best features of TMG, such as sentences, split memos, and witnesses, to name only a few, are not supported in GEDCOM and thus cannot be output to GEDCOM.

If your goal is to build web pages from your TMG datasets, I strongly urge you to investigate Second Site. You will find that it makes use of all the power of web pages, including style sheets. Futher, it has its own user support ListServ forum where other SS users are happy to help you learn to use its powerful features.

I am not affiliated with Second Site, simply a very satisified user,

Michael & Jim - thanks for the good ideas about how to go about the tag cleanup. I will try some form of these ideas out shortly.

Michael - I did look at demo sites for both TNG and SS, and I know SS has the advantage of working with the TMG native format.

But I like the look and feel of TNG that much better that I went with it despite those limitations.

I will play around with it to try and get it working to my satisfaction w.r.t. pictures etc. (the basic data is already in place and it took me under 1 hour). Since TNG is MySQL+PHP it can easily be hacked developed further, which I will probably play with.

Worst case I could always switch to SS since both are very affordable at about $30 each.

-strathglass

Edited by strathglass