kyproud

List of Error Messages

Is there a place other than this forum where we can post the error messages we are getting in v7? How are they being tracked by Wholly Genes? I'd also like to see a list of error messages and possible troubleshooting tips.

The two errors I'm getting are:

Operator/oper and type mismatch. 17 TAGTYPEDEFINITION.MSYNCARRAYS --When trying to delete the Interred role from new Tag Type Definition.

Syntax.error 490FILTERDATA2 --The first time Picklist of People is activated after opening the application.

How can we help Wholly Genes track the errors so they can be used for future hot fixes?

Tim

Edited by kyproud

Is there a place other than this forum where we can post the error messages we are getting in v7? How are they being tracked by Wholly Genes? I'd also like to see a list of error messages and possible troubleshooting tips.

Error messages are very context-specific and TMG generates error messages on-the-fly depending on the context. So a list would be impossible and serve no purpose.

An error message means that something needs fixing. Occasionally, there might be a work-around until the error is fixed.

If you get an error, you need to report exactly the steps that you took to produce the error and the exact error message. Whether you can repeat the error with the same steps is important.

Generally, someone will respond saying that they can replicate your error and that that a bug report has been submitted.

Operator/oper and type mismatch. 17 TAGTYPEDEFINITION.MSYNCARRAYS --When trying to delete the Interred role from new Tag Type Definition.

Syntax.error 490FILTERDATA2 --The first time Picklist of People is activated after opening the application.

Not enough information has been provided in either case to do much about them.

How can we help Wholly Genes track the errors so they can be used for future hot fixes?

The answer to that is to provide enough information to replicate the error. Any error that is not project-specific and can be replicated will be fixed. Project-specific errors usually mean that the project will need to be checked. One way to determine whether an error is project-specific is whether it can be replicated using the Sample project. The bottom line is that the more information provided, the better with one exception. The first error message is what counts. There is no point in reporting any error messages that follow the first (such as what happens when you click [ignore] repeatedly after the first message).

Thank you for your reply Jim. I closed my project and opened the sample project and then opened the Picklist of People and did not get the Syntax.error 490FILTERDATA2. Interesting. I closed and relaunced TMG 3 more times with the Sample project and did not get the error at all when I opened the Picklist of People. I shutdown TMG and relaunched it with my project and BAM!, I recieved the error. VERY INTERESTING. This leads me to believe, as you said, it's project specific. So what in my project is causing this error?

When I get the error, I click on IGNORE and it doesn't come back until I relaunch. I've re-indexed it, optimized it, and validated the integrity.

What is my next step?

Thanks for helping me!!

Tim Cox

Here's my last error message from the error log. Does it help with resolving my issue?

Thanks,

Tim Cox

2008.04.05, 08:29:25 10Syntax error. 490 FILTERDATA2

What is my next step?

Make a backup of your project that includes only the project files, accents and filters.

Upload the backup file to the WG server using the Help / Message Manager / Outgoing tab.

When you have uploaded your backup, send me an email with the name of the file that you have uploaded. I'll take a look.

Send the email by clicking on the link below:

Jim Byram

Thank you Jim! I am travelling at this time and will not be home until Friday. I will do this on Saturday.

Tim Cox

Tim

Jim,

Is this the best that TMG can do when producing these error messages? (I suspect it may be, if they are triggered by some FoxProx error condition.)

Back in my programming days, I tried to provide as much detail in my error messages as possible, specifically giving relevant variable values and the condition I was testing when my program encountered the error. If the error was triggered by a system fault (e.g. a divide by zero), I would try to capture the error before the system produced it's generic error message, so I could give a more useful message. (This actually was more to help me as the developer, rather than some other user.)

For example, for the first message, what was the operator and type values, and what tag was being processed? For the second, what statement was being processed when the syntax error was encountered? I suspect it was either a statement that is fundamentally wrong or one that is invalid when certain variables have "unexpected" values.

More complete error messages might point a user to a problem in the database, or make it easier for developers to locate the error without having to have the user upload the entire database.

I don't know FoxPro or whatever other packaged software Wholly Genes uses, so these suggestions may be impossible with current technology. However, such cryptic messages from the system certainly frustrates users who encounter them.

Pierce

This error went away when I installed the new version 7.02. I guess something was cleaned up with the new updates and it fixed my problem. I'm a happy camper now!!

Tim :rolleyes: