I have been working on getting my family tree printed. I have just had a request from a family member on wanted the whole tree so she can show it off. First question is: How do I get all the people in the tree to show on the chart? When I have tried I choose the oldest person and still don't have all of the people showing. Then I would have to save that as a file to send in for printing at gotcharts.com right? Thank you for any advise.

Jenny

TMG's box charts are true "tree" charts - they start with one person and show the ancestors of that person (although you can optionally add the siblings of the ancestors). Or, you start with one person and show their descendants (and the spouses of the descendants).

The hourglass chart is a combination of these - essentually an ancestor tree and a descendant tree of the same person on a single chart.

But your data set can include all sorts of people who aren't actually part of your tree - parents and other ancestors of spouses, siblings of spouses, descendants of your ancestor's siblings, and on and on.

There is not a standard chart that will show all these various possiblities. In fact, if these various people intermarry multiple times, as they often seem to do, it would be very difficult to conceive of a two-dimensional chart that could clearly show them.

But, TMG's included Visual Chartform program is a very capable chart editor. So it is possible create multiple charts and then copy and paste sections from various charts into a single master to depict special situations. There is of course a limit on the number of sections you would want to manage, and thus a a practical limit on how complex a situation you would show.

Once you have a chart you are happy with, using WG's printing service is a very good way printing it - they use a heavy grade of paper and can print a chart up to 3 ft by way too many. For something you want to display this is much nicer than printing it in sections and taping them together. The Chart Printing Service item on the Reports menu in TMG is an easy way to send it.

Some users have had them printed locally, but I've never tired that and don't know anything about the costs or results.