luther68

Image file extentions .jpg vs jpeg

Our local newpaper freguently will have pictures are part of their on-line obiturary notices. Their images have a file extention of .jpeg.

After copying the image to the exhibts folder, I try to add the image to an individual but TMG says the .jpeg extention is not supported. I see .jpg is but when I have done Google searches, basically everyone says they are the same. My Adobe Elements program doesn't see a difference. but why TMG. Is there a way to change the .jpeg extention to .jpg?

Thanks for any assistance

Kinda seems like the program should recognize either extension (jpg or jpeg). Its the same with tif images with some programs using .tif and some using .tiff. Either one is okay so why not recognize them both?

Is there a way to change the .jpeg extention to .jpg?

Edit (rename) the file and change the extension.

I found this forum while looking for an answer to the same problem. Your answer on changing the jpeg extension to jpg by renaming does not work for me in Windows Photo Gallery, which will only let me rename the file itself, not the extension. I don't really want to download another photo viewer program unless I can be guaranteed that it will work for renaming such photos successfully. I want to import some old family photos I've been sent into my database, and I have quite a few photos with the jpeg extension. Help, please.

The suggestion to open the .jpeg photo in Internet Explorer just worked for me. I saved the photo as a Bitmap and TMG liked it.

Bitmap is very different than .jpg or .jpeg. It has considerably less resolution.

Everything I have read says that the file types are identical. Don't use some program which will "convert" the image type, just open the directory/folder where the file is stored and "rename" the file, changing the spelling of the extension from "jpeg" to "jpg". If you have your Windows options set to "hide" the extension for filenames, change that option so you can see the full filename and then rename the file changing only the extension.

(Internet Explorer is not the same as Windows Explorer)