Viper2004

Splitting a source by its citation detail.

Hello.

When is started my research about 2 years ago i had a "glorious" idea. I created a source called "Website" and just put the URL of the website in the citation detail. Today the source "Website" is cited about 5800 times in my project. Now i would like to change that.

For example i would like to create a new source called "Wikipedia" that has only links to wikipedia entries in the citation details or a source "Thepeerage.com" where i only have URLS from thepeerage-entries in it so i know more detailled from what website i got my info.

But how do i find out how many and which "Website"-Sources have "www.wikipedia" oder "thepeerage.com" in their citation details?

Will i have to got through all 5800 citations and change them manually? Or can i somehow create a report that sorts every occurence the source "Website" by its citation details?

The problem is a bit complex and my english not so fluent, so if i couldn't make myself fully understandable please let me know.

Regards,

Philipp

Hi Phil,

I think this is another case where John Cardinal's TMG Utility can help. Look in the Help documentation for TMGU under the topic "Change Citations". Partway down the page you will see the subtopic "Splitting Sources". I think this is exactly what you want to do. Note that first you must create all the new sources that you want to use. Then you can use the TMG Utility to change the existing citations to no longer point to your general "Website" source but instead point to one of your new sources.

Hope this gives you ideas,