patthepiper

Filter 'Tag does not exist'

I'm using Ver 6 UK Gold and attempting to extract a list of those living at a particular time.

I have been following 'Getting the Most out of TMG', page 176 and also seen the FAQ 'How can I find census candidates for a particular year?' Both references suggest using the following filter line - but I'm still stumped!

*Death Group ... Tag does not exist )) OR

1 'Tag does not exist' does not appear in the sub-field drop-down box

2 I can enter one ')' but not two.

Oh! Wise ones ... how do I get around this?

Read the paragraph introducing that example. :)

"For clarity, you might wish it were possible to have an additional pair of parentheses..."

The point is, this is an explaination of the result you would like to achive. You can't actually build this filter. The author then explains how to actually create a filter that will do this task.

Read the paragraph introducing that example. :)

"For clarity, you might wish it were possible to have an additional pair of parentheses..."

The point is, this is an explaination of the result you would like to achive. You can't actually build this filter. The author then explains how to actually create a filter that will do this task.

Many thanks Terry. This was not obvious to my ancient and tired mind!

I am now using Ver. 7

After sorting out the missing bracket (in Step 3) I got it working, but now hope to rewrite it to cover earlier census dates, so I need to set a life span of (census date +/- 105 years), not just (census date - 105 years) as in the book. This is a job for next week - I can handle only so much confusion!

It would seem (from page 176) that the missing bracket in Step 3 should be at the end of 4, thus

*Death Group... #of Tags = 0 ) OR

Could you please comment? A little light in my present darkness would be much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Pat