easouza

Import from FTM 2008

I would like to import my FTM 2008 data directly into TMG 7. I thought I read somewhere that Wholly Genes is working on this interface. If so, does anyone know when it will be available?

Eileen

It might be easier exporting to GEDCOM from FTM 2008 since this version of FTM is such a mess anyway. I moved from FTM v16 to 2008, but fortunately retained my original v16 data file. I've done several test imports from FTM 2008 to TMG v6 (v7 wasn't out at the time) and the conversion was a mess. I tried from FTM 2008 to other programs like Legacy and that data was also a mess. I'd have to put the blame on FTM 2008 since it messed up my FTM v16 data as well.

At least exporting from FTM 2008 to a GEDCOM should retain your original data. I converted an old FTM file to TMG v4 years ago and it did a fairly good job. Because TMG is more advanced, I had to do considerable cleanup to get things where they should go and it took several months. I'm sure the process is a little better now.

It's too bad that FTM 2008 doesn't let you convert back to previous FTM versions otherwise this process would be easier. I guess this doesn't answer your question about when Wholly Genes will be releasing an update.

I would like to import my FTM 2008 data directly into TMG 7. I thought I read somewhere that Wholly Genes is working on this interface. If so, does anyone know when it will be available?

The FTM 2008 import is being developed and is currently in beta testing.

The FTM 2008 import is being developed and is currently in beta testing.

Do you know how soon this will be released? I tried exporting as GEDCOM 5.5 from FTM 2009 but I lost all my media and all my source citations and links. It is really grim. If you still need any testors I would be glad to volunteer.

Eileen Souza

Eldersburg, MD