joanmc

Help! CDX Files Have Disappeared

Trying to open a project, it didn't appear in the list of projects in the folder. On examining it, discovered that there are no CDX files in it. Is there a way to open it so the repair mode can redo the CDX files?

:unsure:

Joan

Are you saying there is no .pjc file listed for that project - and when you look in the project folder, you can't find any .cdx files either? Are there any other files belonging to that project in the folder?

Is the project in a separate folder or with other projects?

Is the location of the project correct in Preferences > Program Options > General?

Virginia

No pjc file listed....no cdx files other files are all there. The project is in a folder with others, all of which are fine. The location is fine in Preferences. The entire folder was moved from another drive, the preference location was changed for all the projects and this is the only one that 'got lost'<g>.

Suggestions?

B)

Joan

Have you got a backup of that project from which you could retrieve just the .pjc file? You could unzip the backup and copy the .pjc to the project folder. The folder was moved - not copied - so you can't go back to that folder for the .pjc?

Virginia

Does it matter how old the pjc file is? I know my cousin has a backup but not recent. So if I can get a pjc, place it in the folder then open TMG, the cdx files should be recreated?

8-)

Joan

Have you got a backup of that project from which you could retrieve just the .pjc file? You could unzip the backup and copy the .pjc to the project folder. The folder was moved - not copied - so you can't go back to that folder for the .pjc?

Virginia

The .pjc file is a small text file with info like preference settings - so it might change some of your preferences. More important, it contains information on the TMG version for which that project is appropriate - and that is what the program looks for when it loads the project. Are you both using v7?

Are you certain that you have the remaining project files? As you probably know, a project contains 80-90 or more files - including multiple *.dbf and *.fpt files in addition to the *.cdx (index) files and .pjc file - all beginning with the name of the project. Have you searched the other drive and the recycle bin for the missing files?

If you have all the project files except for the index files (.cdx), and if your cousin's .pjc file is from the same TMG version that you are using, , and if you first backup (or copy to a safe place) the project files you do have - then I think the worse that could happen would be an error message and the project would not open.

I think you first need to verify that you are missing only the .pjc and index files.

Virginia

Hi Virginia.....just heading back over to my cousins to try and solve this problem. For clarification, it is her project that's lost the cdx files. I'm not there right now but as best as I can recall from last night, the only missing files were the pjc & cdx files but will double check when I get there. It will be her backup that we'll be using so no problem on same preferences etc. and same version - neither of us has made the move to 7. Me because it's so difficult to get it to install that I simply haven't had the time to fight with it :rolleyes: I use XP Pro (so does my cousin) and I'm in the process of switching to Linux NOT Vista. So, I'll double check on the files, back them up then collect the pjc from her backup and, with fingers crossed, put it back in the folder and see what happens.

Thanks for all the assistance as usual! After reading the thread about the teacher who wouldn't recommend TMG, I can only feel sorry for both her and her students if they miss out on such a great program and, even more importantly, the wonderful support that's available!

B)

Joan

The .pjc file is a small text file with info like preference settings - so it might change some of your preferences. More important, it contains information on the TMG version for which that project is appropriate - and that is what the program looks for when it loads the project. Are you both using v7?

Are you certain that you have the remaining project files? As you probably know, a project contains 80-90 or more files - including multiple *.dbf and *.fpt files in addition to the *.cdx (index) files and .pjc file - all beginning with the name of the project. Have you searched the other drive and the recycle bin for the missing files?

If you have all the project files except for the index files (.cdx), and if your cousin's .pjc file is from the same TMG version that you are using, , and if you first backup (or copy to a safe place) the project files you do have - then I think the worse that could happen would be an error message and the project would not open.

I think you first need to verify that you are missing only the .pjc and index files.

Virginia

Ok, I've moved the pjc file into the folder and then opened TMG. When I chose the 'last project' the previous one opened and I then closed it, clicked on 'open' and got the list of pjc files, including the replaced one. When I clicked on it, I got the message that TMG was going into Repair Mode which I presumed would regenerate the cdx files. Nothing happened so I again attempted to open that project. This time, TMG stayed in Repair Mode and I got a different error message (see below). All the other projects open with no problem. The error message tells me that the file is busy elsewhere which of course it is not. So, what next?

B)

Joan

Hi Virginia.....just heading back over to my cousins to try and solve this problem. For clarification, it is her project that's lost the cdx files. I'm not there right now but as best as I can recall from last night, the only missing files were the pjc & cdx files but will double check when I get there. It will be her backup that we'll be using so no problem on same preferences etc. and same version - neither of us has made the move to 7. Me because it's so difficult to get it to install that I simply haven't had the time to fight with it :rolleyes: I use XP Pro (so does my cousin) and I'm in the process of switching to Linux NOT Vista. So, I'll double check on the files, back them up then collect the pjc from her backup and, with fingers crossed, put it back in the folder and see what happens.

Thanks for all the assistance as usual! After reading the thread about the teacher who wouldn't recommend TMG, I can only feel sorry for both her and her students if they miss out on such a great program and, even more importantly, the wonderful support that's available!

B)

Joan

post-244-1208145890_thumb.jpg

Virginia

Usually when you get the 'project in use elsewhere' the fix is to delete the cdx files. You might check if any of them have been generated, delete those and try again; this time open the Sample Project first and try from there.

If that doesn't work:

Copy the project to a separate folder (using Copy Project on the File menu) and see if it opens from that folder. If not, check what files you have. If the files are all there except for the *.cdx there should be a way to get into the project. There is a list of the v6 files on Lee's site at

http://www.tmgtips.com/dbnames2.htm

Virginia

Well, after fighting with this till well after midnight, both my cousin & I decided we needed to 'sleep on it' :rolleyes:

When I checked the original file with Lee's listing, I discovered that we were missing some of the dbf files as well so we decided to restore the backup file which hadn't had any changes done since the backup. It was, however, prior to updating TMG. Of course we got the message that it would be updated and couldn't be used in the previous version which was no problem. I then attempted to open this project. It opened without difficulty however none of the data was there!!! At that point, we gave up. We do have another backup version which I will have another go with in a couple of days (likely Wed) and will post the results.....hopefully positive.... at that time.

Meanwhile, thanks so much Virginia.....as usual TMG's support is without parallel.

B)

Joan

Usually when you get the 'project in use elsewhere' the fix is to delete the cdx files. You might check if any of them have been generated, delete those and try again; this time open the Sample Project first and try from there.

If that doesn't work:

Copy the project to a separate folder (using Copy Project on the File menu) and see if it opens from that folder. If not, check what files you have. If the files are all there except for the *.cdx there should be a way to get into the project. There is a list of the v6 files on Lee's site at

http://www.tmgtips.com/dbnames2.htm

Virginia