Thomas Brunson

Small File Import Merge and Renumber

I have had so many problems with importing people I am getting frustrated. I tried to import 2 generations into TMG 7.0 gold. The first went in, no errors 25 people. No duplicates found. Next I imported 19 people for the next generation. Imported no errors. It did find a duplicate. There should have been 4. The numbers show2:... and 3:... for numbers. I tried to renumber to get 1 set of numbers and I cannot get rid of the 2: and 3:. I cannot merge the people I know are duplicates because the merge button is grayed out. HELP!!!!

When you import a file into TMG it goes into a new data set, which is kept separate from any exisiting data sets in your Project. This is so you can examine the imported data and decide whether or not to keep it before integrating it with your existing data.

The 2... and 3... numbers you see in front of the ID numbers are the numbers of the data sets in which those people reside.

Since data sets are completely separate, you cannot merge duplicate people in separate data sets, nor can you link them, say as parent and child, or by marriage.

If you want the newly imported people to be in your main data set, you can either 1) Merge the two data sets, in which case all the people will be copied to your existing data set, or 2) copy specific people to the working data set. In either case, you would probably want to then delete the data set that was created by the import.

There are articles on my website (see below) that explain data sets, merging, and copying people. I would suggest reviewing them before either merging or copying people, as there are a few tricks to getting exactly the results you want.

Hello Terry:

I tried to follow your tips. You instructions were not clear. I eventually figured out to go to the file menu under dataset manager to follow your process for merging two large datasets. After several hours I recieved the following Foxpro error and TMG crashed. I had to reset the computer to continue the process and try separating the datasets into 2 separate files.

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2008/02/19 11:18:31 PM. Error log file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp9rerr.log

Called from - errorhandler line 28 {C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\common\programs\errorhandler.prg errorhandler.fxp}

Called from - ON... line 0 { }

Called from - frmpersonimage.cntimage.mcreatethumb line 284 {c:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct c:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct}

Called from - frmpersonimage.cntimage.mcreateallthumbs line 183 {c:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct c:\program files\common\libs\exhibit.vct}

Called from - appobject.show line 435 {c:\program files\common\libs\appobj.vct c:\program files\common\libs\appobj.vct}

Called from - tmgappobj.show line 3 {c:\program files\the master genealogist v7\libs\appobjtmg.vct c:\program files\the master genealogist v7\libs\appobjtmg.vct}

Called from - tmgmain line 523 {C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg c:\program files\the master genealogist v7\tmg7.exe}

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2008.04.14 10:55:13 PM. Error log file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp9rerr.log

Called from - mergeds_npv line 852 {C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\tmg\programs\mergeds.prg mergeds.fxp}

Called from - mergeds line 46 {C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\tmg\programs\mergeds.prg mergeds.fxp}

Called from - frmmergedataset.cmdok.click line 152 {c:\program files\the master genealogist v7\libs\merge.vct c:\program files\the master genealogist v7\libs\merge.vct}

Called from - tmgmain line 531 {C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg c:\program files\the master genealogist v7\tmg7.exe}

Please when you post tips do not assume that everyone knows the program as well as you do. I have used several databases and geneology programs, incuding DB III, DBIV, Access, FoxPro, DB II, Paradox, Family Tree Maker, and Legacy.

It took me nearly an hour just to understand the process you said to take. I was extremely distressed at your assumption that anyone could follow your process even when you left steps out. Please could you inform me why I got the Foxpro error.

Thomas Brunson

Sorry, Thomas.

No one else seems to have trouble following those directions, even people who don't have a variety of data base programs installed that they supposedly know how to use.

As with many Windows programs many program errors are not caused by the program. I deal with huge amounts of data. Some erros are easily fixed by running defrag, or rebooting to clear memory. Others are caused by users exceeding program capabilities. This program The Master Geneologist v 7.0 is a resource hog and extremely cumbersome handling huge files. It has tremendous capabilities, but it also has many unpublished limitations and quirks.

I am not impressed by the forums or technical support. There are many posts that have no answer or a totally insufficient answer. If nothing else a reply of forward to developers should be a reply to posters asking questions, having problems, or just confused that forum supportters, users, or moderators cannot answer.

Hello, Thomas -

You can contact tech support directly by email to support@whollygenes.com or from within TMG with a trouble report: Help > Technical Support > Trouble Report (the button at lower left).

You may also find help on the TMG rootsweb mailing list for the unique problems associated with such a large database. I know of several list members with well over 100,000 people and a few with as many as 250,000. Your import of 400,000+ may be getting close to a record though . To subscribe:

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/Software/TMG.html

Virginia

Hello, Thomas -

You can contact tech support directly by email to support@whollygenes.com or from within TMG with a trouble report: Help > Technical Support > Trouble Report (the button at lower left).

You may also find help on the TMG rootsweb mailing list for the unique problems associated with such a large database. I know of several list members with well over 100,000 people and a few with as many as 250,000. Your import of 400,000+ may be getting close to a record though <g>. To subscribe:

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/Software/TMG.html

Virginia

I think when Jim and I were importing the Stobie. GED sometime last year it ran to 466,862.

Using TMG 4 with 512MB ram wasn't fun but it *was* interesting!

*grin*

When you import a file into TMG it goes into a new data set, which is kept separate from any exisiting data sets in your Project. This is so you can examine the imported data and decide whether or not to keep it before integrating it with your existing data.

The 2... and 3... numbers you see in front of the ID numbers are the numbers of the data sets in which those people reside.

Since data sets are completely separate, you cannot merge duplicate people in separate data sets, nor can you link them, say as parent and child, or by marriage.

If you want the newly imported people to be in your main data set, you can either 1) Merge the two data sets, in which case all the people will be copied to your existing data set, or 2) copy specific people to the working data set. In either case, you would probably want to then delete the data set that was created by the import.

There are articles on my website (see below) that explain data sets, merging, and copying people. I would suggest reviewing them before either merging or copying people, as there are a few tricks to getting exactly the results you want.

-------------

I merged two projects which gives me one project with two data sets. I merged the two data sets and it appears to work. I then try to find duplicates (which I finally did with considerable difficulty) but I could not merge them. The merge button was grayed out. I've repeated and varied the process several times and had it hang several times. It's getting very frustrating. I didn't have this kind of trouble with v. 6. What's up?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth, did you read the articles I mentioned on merging projects and data sets?

As the article explains, when you "merge" two data sets in a project, what happens is the people in one of them are copied to the other. But that first data set remains. So the people in it now appear twice - in their original data set and in the combined one.

If you try to merge the two people who are still in different data sets it still won't work. Rather, after the merge, delete the data set from which the people were copied. Then, only one copy of the people in it will remain, and you can merge them if they same person appears a second time.

There is no difference in this function between TMG 5, 6, or 7.