joanmc

ANCESTOR CHART FOR COUPLE

I'm absolutely positive I remember this on the Forums in the past but couldn't find the right parameters to bring it up in 'Search' :wacko: Here's what I'm trying to do: with my child as the focus person, I want to show both lines of ancestors. Currently these are in separate datasets so I presume the first step is to merge the sets into a new combined one? At that point, there shouldn't be a problem showing both lines in a chart once I ensure the links are all ok.

Alternatively, I seem to recall I could create a chart from each dataset and then copy and paste on onto the other?

Thanks for any ideas on this.

B)

Joan

Yes, you would have to merge the data sets to generate a combined chart. I'd think building two charts and combining the shouldn't be that hard. The only tricky part might be building the connecting lines from the child to both parents if you've not worked with those lines before, but it's not that hard.

I'm absolutely positive I remember this on the Forums in the past but couldn't find the right parameters to bring it up in 'Search' :wacko: Here's what I'm trying to do: with my child as the focus person, I want to show both lines of ancestors. Currently these are in separate datasets so I presume the first step is to merge the sets into a new combined one? At that point, there shouldn't be a problem showing both lines in a chart once I ensure the links are all ok.

Alternatively, I seem to recall I could create a chart from each dataset and then copy and paste on onto the other?

Thanks for any ideas on this.

B)

Joan

Dear Joan:

I agree with Terry. It is recommended that you follow both of his suggestions.

Merge your datasets. There is absolutely no advantage to working in more than one dataset. There are very many, many disadvantages, like the one you're facing now. Keep all of your genealogy eggs in one basket.

Separate datasets are useful when someone sends you their database, which you should keep separate from your own work. When you find a small amount of data useful to you, type it into your dataset. If you find a large segment of their data to be useful, make a subset, check it, and then merge it into your single working dataset. Another use for a separate dataset is when you desire to make and check a subset of your data to send to someone else.

Learn to make composite VCF charts, move boxes, draw lines and import images in the VCF charts. You will be able to make displays that you haven't even imagined, yet. It is also lots of fun.

As a simple example: Many people like 5 generation ancestor charts (Seize Quartiers). Drawn in a reasonable scale, these will not fit on 8.5 x 11 inch paper as generated by TMG. With a couple of selections and moves, you can overlap the first two generations and make them fit on standard letter size paper. Once you have practiced, it is the work of a minute.

Good luck and best wishes,

Mike Talbot

Just to clarify, this isn't about my dataset(s), rather my cousin's. It took me a while to realize that the reason she was having a problem trying to figure out how to do the chart was because they were in 2 separate projects, never mind datasets!!!! I learned how much problem it could be to have multiple datasets years ago and only have separate ones for those from other people and for my clients which are in a separate project as well. My excuse for not twigging right away has to be that we'd spent hours trying to recover a project that was missing the CDX files and, then discovered some other files missing and still haven't managed to recover the project!!<sigh>. Once I had posted the message it sort of hit me over the head what the problem was :rolleyes: Once I have a chance to get over to my cousin's we'll import one of the datasets into the other project then merge the datasets and that should solve the problem.

Meanwhile, thanks to you all for your quick responses as usual.

B)

Joan