John Stark

Master Place List & Event Memos

I have a large number of Occupation tags where occupation is recorded in an address field.

I wish to remove all occupation descriptions from the Master Place list and put them in the memo field of each Occupation Tag.

Is there an easy way to do this, rather than having to change each Occupation Tag individually?

I don't think so. It may be a bit easier to find and access all those tags from the Master Place List - use the sort funtion to group them together as best you can, then select each in turn and click the Events buttton, from which you can open the tags and edit them.

While you are at it, if you intend to use narrative reports, check the exact wording of the entries. The default Occupation tag starts with "He was..." then adds the date and place if present in the tag. It expects the text in the memo to be "a carpenter" or "an attorney" or something else that will work with the "He was..." introductory phrase.

After relocating the occupations you will have to Optimize (File > Maintence menu) to get them out of the Master Place List.

I don't think so. It may be a bit easier to find and access all those tags from the Master Place List .......

....After relocating the occupations you will have to Optimize (File > Maintence menu) to get them out of the Master Place List.

Thanks Terry. That's what I'm doing, but I've still got many thousands of entries to amend!

By the way, great new book! If I'd had something like that when I first started I wouldn't be wasting so much of my life trying to put things right.

John,

This is from a FTM import? If you are at a place where you can stop and reimport, you can save yourself considerable time. If you use the Advanced Import Wizard, one of the steps will allow you to specify where this data goes for each tag type. For example... You can have all Occupation tag data go to the memo and have all Birth tag data go to the place fields. This will reduce the post-import cleanup.

Jim

John,

This is from a FTM import?.......

Jim

Unfortunately no. Its a legacy from when I first started using TMG when I was feeling my way. I run a one name study and currently have over 70,000 people documented (to varying degrees of completeness) with lots more to come. Not sure how many events I have (a TMG List of Events crashes because the report is too large), but I would guess somewhere between ¼ and ½ million and I expect it to expand significantly. If I don't rigorously standardize in order to automate my website, I won't be able to cope, so I may as well bite the bullet now. Not sure how I will proceed on the website front (current thinking is to learn PHP and provide a database search) but I may well have a go with Second Site.