Sign in to follow this  
E Wilcock

Lost Layouts?

I am floundering with the upgrade as usual. Could someone please produce a simple list of all the tasks one needs to do to have the new version running like the old customised version.

I dont know where my custom layouts are and where to move them to get them into version 9. It doesnt help that I am by no means expert at Windows 7. User data must be lurking somewhere?

I think it could be my custom toolbar is lost too and that is part of the layout.

As for the updated Projects I assume it has simply overwritten the data in my old TMG8 Project folder.So I renamed that as 9.

Edited by E Wilcock

You can locate all the layout and toolbar files, and report definitions, etc. But the easiest way is to do a Backup on your old installation and then Restore on the new one. Do a backup of "Customizations" and at step 3 chose the items you want to transfer. Details are in my article on Moving to a New Computer or Version.

Thank you Terry - Just what I needed.

I have your book and the manual, but hadnt found this.

And thank you for the explanation - had not previously understood why one should back up and restore rather than open the project direct, which is what I have done in the recent past. The TMG Manual for 9 starts by saying you can open previous version projects so I cheerfully did it.

Will go and try doing this the right way now.

As I have about a dozen projects, I remember that upgrading to TMG 8 and redesigning the tool bars etc for each took me ages.