Eric Powell

Import FTM: "Invalid Path or Filename"

I'm importing my main file from FTM 2014 into TMG9.

In FTM 2014, I selected File / Export and selected the output format as 'Family Tree Maker 2008/2009' and saved the FTM 2008/2009 database with a name different from that of my FTM 2014 database and in a different directory.

The import has been running for several hour and upper progress bar is about 36% and the lower one ranges from 0-100%

I have three times now gotten three error messages in a row:

TheMasterGenealogist2014-02-23-153402.jp

The first is as above, the following two show the number 280,300 instead of 279.

The process is continuting, media is being added to the project folder and it appears to be making progress.

The most important question is:

How do I know what to fix later?, and,

How do I get TMG Creator the information necessary to fix this problem for the future?

Note: I clicked on Ignore each time.

On the fourth time this set of errors came up, I got this error following:

TheMasterGenealogist2014-02-23-155116.jp

and following the above error, these errors:

ErrorMarker: Subscript is outside defined range. 2801 COPYFILEE

ErrorMarker: Subscript is outside defined range. 2802 COPYFILEE

ErrorMarker: Subscript is outside defined range. 2820 COPYFILEE

It's still churning... still making new files in Exhibits...

Ok, now some new errors:

ErrorMarker: Invalid path or file name. 273 GBIMPEXHIBITS

ErrorMarker: Invalid path or file name. 274 GBIMPEXHIBITS

ErrorMarker: Invalid path or file name. 279 GBIMPEXHIBITS

ErrorMarker: Invalid path or file name. 280 GBIMPEXHIBITS

ErrorMarker: Invalid path or file name. 300 GBIMPEXHIBITS

ErrorMarker: Invalid path or file name. 2798 COPYFILEE

===> between here it put a new exhibit file in the Exhibits directory.

ErrorMarker: Invalid path or file name. 273 GBIMPEXHIBITS

ErrorMarker: Invalid path or file name. 274 GBIMPEXHIBITS

ErrorMarker: Invalid path or file name. 279 GBIMPEXHIBITS

ErrorMarker: Invalid path or file name. 280 GBIMPEXHIBITS

ErrorMarker: Invalid path or file name. 300 GBIMPEXHIBITS

ErrorMarker: Invalid path or file name. 2798 COPYFILEE

Now its churning again.

Probably the worse part of the problem is that there is 4300 people in the tree, and it's been processing for about 5 hours now.

The top percent is still on 36%.

Some part of that time has been when I haven't been here to answer the error messages, which stop the process. At this rate, and having it stop every time it has an error it may take days to import the file.

I am guessing that the problem has to do with some file name that has existed in my tree and co-existed with FTM and Windows file system, but that TMG thinks is an invalid file name.

I never had any problems at all on imports into TMG8, but this is the first one into TMG9.

Strange. The FTM import was broken in v8.05 through v8.08. :mellow:

Please send me the FTM file zipped. I'll test the import and get it to the programmer if necessary so that he can look at it.

If the FTM database is too large to email, then send it to the Wholly Genes server using Help / Message Manager / Outgoing tab and let me know the name of the file that you uploaded.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below.

Jim Byram

Strange. The FTM import was broken in v8.05 through v8.08. :mellow:

I did not upgrade past 8.03 until very late. Likely I never did an import into v8.08.

Please send me the FTM file zipped. I'll test the import and get it to the programmer if necessary so that he can look at it.

I sent you a link to download the file via the email address you gave above. It's pretty big, 1.8GB with all the exhibits.

The two issues that Eric encountered in importing his FTM database should be fixed in v9.01.

Update: v9.01 has been released.

Edited by Jim Byram

AFTER upgrading to 9.01, I re-did the Import, and ...

1) The progress window now displays an explanation of what step it is on in words and this is far more satisfying and useful.

2) The whole file imported without an error message halting the progress. It took maybe three hours but with #1 this was no big deal as I could see it was working on what and where.

3) Using the exact same file locations and import parameters, the import did not duplicate any of the exhibit files. 1.7GB = 1.7GB.

4) At the end of the export it asked me if I wanted to see the .lst file, and when I said yes, it displayed it, unlike before when it errored out with some klingon force field error. (the message was so long the error box couldn't contain it.)

5) There were the same three exhibits not found (FTM/Ancestry problem) and this is ok BUT... when I tried just putting the correct exhibit file in the Exhibits directory, the thumbnail will not correctly display (even tried rebuilding thumbnails.) When I right click on unhappy face and select properties, where I've put the exhibit in place, it shows an image of the exhibit and allows me to view it, but the thumbnail just won't correct, so it looks (to a shallow view) that the exhibit is still missing. (also the thumbnail rebuild showed the file wasn't there, even though it was.) So the exhibit file is there, it appears in properties and allows view but the thumbnail creator just can't digest this.

So, it would appear that this problem has been fixed with lightening speed! Thanks!