JimMiller

Missing person from Descendant Box Chart

I start with a GGGF as Focus Person. My son is missing when I create a Descendant Box Chart, but he appears in a Descendant Indented Chart. My brother's children appear in both. My son's Living flag is set to ? The number of generations is sufficient to include my son and the Surety is set to No Threshold (Include blank surety is checked).

Please advise what I need to change to make my son appear in a Descendant Box Chart. Thank you.

Vera,

Virginia suggested Jim move this issue here because it is a VCF issue.

Jim,

I'd suggest you try to produce the same chart with an Indented Descendant Indented chart, which is a text-based chart, and see if the issue appears there. If it does, the issue is with your data somehow, and if not, it's an issue with the setting in the Box Chart. That should narrow down the area to find the solution.

VCF requires a primary parent-child relationship tag for someone to be included in a chart - so check for that. It could be -ado or another relationship, but must be marked primary for the chart's purpose.

Virginia

To answer Terry, yes, my son appears in an Indented Descendant Chart.

Virginia, in my person view (of myself, that is), my son's birth does not show as a tag. On my son's person view, I'm there as his father. If I highlight the Father line and click on the Primary button, I'm told me that I'm already his primary father.

Jim

Jim,

That's very confusing. The fact that he appears in the IDC and not in the box chart suggests a problem in the box chart setup, but the fact you don't see your son's relationship tag in your person view suggests some sort of issue with that tag. I don't know why the two charts should deal with that differently, but they do collect there data with different processes, so I suppose there is a possibility they see whatever the problem is with the tag differently.

I'd suggest this. First, from your son's person view, make the father tag non-primary. That will cause it to move to his main tag box below, out of the name/parent's box. Then make it primary again, and see if it then appears in your detail view. If so, I think that will fix the box chart issue.

If not, make it non-primary again, and then create a new relationship tag. To do that, double click on the Father label in your son's details view to open a new relationship tag, and enter your ID# as the father. If that works, delete the old relationship tag, after transferring any citations that may be in it.

Terry,

The program is not letting me remove the primary father designation. From my son's person view, I highlight the father line, and click on Primary. I'm asked if I want to remove the primary designation, and I click yes. When I highlight the father line again and click on Primary, I'm told I am primary.

Jim