Ed Torres

Should I remove TMG v7 now that v8 upgrade is installed?

4/28/12, 23:02

Computer: Fujitsu Lifebook N6470

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5740 @ 2 GHz

I just bought and installed the TMG v8 Gold upgrade to TMG v7. My programs folder now shows two TMG programs, v7 and v8. Should I uninstall v7 now that I have v8 or should I leave both of them on my computer?

I just bought and installed the TMG v8 Gold upgrade to TMG v7. My programs folder now shows two TMG programs, v7 and v8. Should I uninstall v7 now that I have v8 or should I leave both of them on my computer?

Once I was completely certain that all my data had carried over into v.8 correctly, I uninstalled v.7. The uninstall program may uninstall some files in one of the Windows directories that are needed by v.8. You may be prompted whether to uninstall these shared files during the uninstall process. I opted to do so and then found that I had to do a "repair" installation of v.8 to restore the deleted files. Apart from the momentary strain on my nervous system it all came out OK in the end.

Hope this helps . . .

Robert

4/29/12, 9:55

Thanks for the quick reply Robert. After reading your comment, I started v7 this morning and backed up all my projects then closed the program. Started v8 and restored the projects I had just backed up. Opened v8 and made sure my projects were all there then closed the program. Opened my computer's "control panel", selected TMG v7, and clicked "uninstall". The process started and the informational windows came up asking if I wanted to delete some shared files, I clicked "No" to all similar questions. Another informational window popped up asking if I wanted to do a "Rollback". I clicked "No". The process continued and was done in no more than 3 minutes.

Afterwards I noticed that the v7 folder still was visible in my start menu, although it was empty (no contents). So I right-clicked on the folder and selected properties to find the file location (path). I copied the path and pasted it into windows explorer. Scrolled down to find the v7 folder. I made sure it was empty before deleting it. Now my start menu only shows v8. Perfect!

I started v8 and again checked that all my projects were intact. They were...I backed them up again anyway.

Thanks again for your reply Robert. The whole process worked like a charm.

Ed

Ed -

You may also find some residual v7 files in one of the three v7 Data File Storage (DFS) folders: Shared program data, User program data, User data. The contents of each of those folders is described in Help / Data File Storage.

I would not be in a hurry to delete those files until you are sure you have any v7 customized buttons, toolbars (*.tbr), layouts (*.lo), etc. that you want to use in v8 and did not backup in customizations. If so, you can simply copy those specific v7 files to the equivalent v8 location before deleting them.

You can find the v7 locations quickly by looking in v8 on the TMG menu Help / Access folders. The equivalent v7 folders will be in those same paths on your computer.

Virginia

4/29/12, 9:55

. . .

Thanks again for your reply Robert. The whole process worked like a charm.

Ed

You're very welcome, Ed. I'm glad it went well. Virginia has made an additional excellent suggestion . . .

Robert

Ed -

You may also find some residual v7 files in one of the three v7 Data File Storage (DFS) folders: Shared program data, User program data, User data. The contents of each of those folders is described in Help / Data File Storage.

I would not be in a hurry to delete those files until you are sure you have any v7 customized buttons, toolbars (*.tbr), layouts (*.lo), etc. that you want to use in v8 and did not backup in customizations. If so, you can simply copy those specific v7 files to the equivalent v8 location before deleting them.

You can find the v7 locations quickly by looking in v8 on the TMG menu Help / Access folders. The equivalent v7 folders will be in those same paths on your computer.

Virginia

The original question was, "Should I remove TMG v7 now that v8 upgrade is installed?" I do not see where this question was answered, so I shall attempt to answer it. As in so many areas dealing with computers, 'it depends'.

My PC runs Windows XP still, with Microsoft Office 2010 Professional, and I have no intention of upgrading it until I have to, although I have become quite familiar with Windows 7 through my work.

In my opinion, if you have the physical disk space to store different versions with their assorted data files and are able to keep them separate, you should NOT delete the previous version. Remember, Version 7 had to convert the Version 6 files, just as Version 8 has to convert the Version 7 files. After upgrading to Version 7, I had a need to reinstall Version 6 to open a project that I had not converted to Version 7. Since then, I have kept both versions in two different libraries.

As I prepare to install Version 8, I will create a third library, copy my Version 7 backup files into it, then import them into Version 8. While this certainly does create duplicate files, especially among my reports, it is not a problem for me. When I begin to run out of disk space, I will buy another hard drive.

While I can manage multiple physical and virtual hard drives easily, I have met people who can barely use one. So it is not a solution for everybody.

I also use Family Tree Maker and have organized those files similarly. This method works for me.

As I prepare to install Version 8, I will create a third library, copy my Version 7 backup files into it, then import them into Version 8.

Roy -

Note that you Restore your v7 backup files to v8 - not Import them.

Virginia

Thanks, Virginia, I found out quickly! :yes:

TMG is the only program I have found where you "Restore" a "Backup" to a different version. For years it has always been you "Restore" to the same version and "Import" to a different version.

Culturally it is insignificant and I only lost about ten minutes of time.

The process went smoothly enough, but there was one problem I will write about in a separate post.

TMG is the only program I have found where you "Restore" a "Backup" to a different version. For years it has always been you "Restore" to the same version and "Import" to a different version.

An import is required only when the database being imported has a completely different structure. The last TMG database like that was the TMG v4.x FoxPro database.

Since TMG v5.0, the database just needs some structural updates, not a complete database replacement.

Updating a TMG database to the latest structural version differs little from updating a Legacy or Rootsmagic database to the latest structural version. You open the old database, get a warning message that the database will be updated and when you respond affirmatively, the database is updated.

You open the old database, get a warning message that the database will be updated and when you respond affirmatively, the database is updated.

Thanks, Jim. If I understand your last statement, I really did not need to backup my V7 files. I could have just copied them to a new location, opened the project in V8 and updated the database then. Correct?

I have 97 GB of free storage space, so space is not a problem.

Thanks, Jim. If I understand your last statement, I really did not need to backup my V7 files. I could have just copied them to a new location, opened the project in V8 and updated the database then. Correct?

Yes. With the transition from TMG7 to TMG8, that's the case.

People are encouraged to use TMG7 backup / TMG8 restore so they don't update their TMG7 projects in place and render them unusable in TMG7. It's better to use the TMG8 User data folder for TMG8 data and projects. Copying the projects from the TMG7 project folder to the TMG8 project folder works fine.