Sign in to follow this  
denrus0

Merging Individuals Who have different ID's

How do you easily merge individuals who have different ID's , but are the same people. For example, say I have 3 fathers with ID's , say 100, 200 and 300 who are married to mothers with ID's 101, 102, and 103. The fathers are all the same individuals and the mothers are all the same individuals, The children in each family group are the same, but have different id's. If I delete the fathers / mothers one at a time , the relationships get screwed up.

Use the Merge Two People command on the Tools menu. If you start with one of the duplicates as focus that person will be automatically entered as one of the people to be merged. Then enter the ID of the other one, and you will see all the Tags of each displayed side-by-side. The ID# of the one on the left will be kept. That person's Tags will become Primary.

All the Tags of the both people will be kept for the merged person unless you uncheck the boxes next to some of those Tags. But be careful doing that in case there are citations or details in that tag that are not in the similar tag for the other person. Better, I think, to keep all the tags and then delete duplicates one at a time after the merge so you can be sure of not losing anything important.