jenealogy

Check for Duplicate People

The Check for Duplicate People function has a "Filters" screen. However, only "All People" and "This Person" are the only available options. Everything else is greyed out. Can you tell me how to enable the "and check for duplicates among" section? Thanks!

Guest BWC

I set up a set of people (descendants, ancestors and their spouses) of one person, saved the set and tried to check for duplicates. The program goes into "Preprocessing" and hits 99% and then nothing happens except that the program is labeled "Not Responding." This is a large database (143,000 people) and the set of people I am checking is also fairly large, but I am only checking birth dates. I thought I was too impaitient, but after leaving it alone for a couple of hours I checked and no change. What's up?

Bev

Hi Bev,

checking 143.000 people is quite a lot of work to do. I don't know which algorithm TMG uses for checking, but potentially the execution time could rise exponentially with the number of people (2x people --> 4x exec time, 3x people --> 9x exec time).

So, probably everything is ok with the program. But I personally doebt that you will/would be satisfied by the output: Too many possible duplicates.

Guest BWC

I agree that it is probably the total number of folks that is bogging it down, but that is why I thought I was excluding most of them by setting up a subset. I am wondering if I did it incorrectly! I just checked again and saw a message that it had stopped at the "requested maximum of 1,000,000 duplicates" Now I really think I am doing something wrong, as a subset of one family- even if that comes to several thousand people- wouldn't generate a number that high- I think.

Bev

I'm running v 9.03 on Windows 7. When I run "check for duplicate people" I get combinations that make no sense. I ran this once before and the combinations were logical. Not this time. I get things like Katherine Elizabeth Jones, b 1975, id 852 as a duplicate to Mary Frances Smith, b 1834, id 47. There's no rhyme or reason - one is one side of the family and the other is from the other side. And all the duplicates listed are similar to this. Help, please!! Thank you!

No, haven't ever done an optimize. I'll have to read up on it and give it and try and see if that helps. Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful response!! Have a great day!!