Sign in to follow this  
GenerationGoneBy

Tabulated Census report

I have always wanted a census report like the one below, so that I could keep up with each person's census data and easily print it out. With TMG, I can now have such a report. It takes a while to set up, but once you do, it is fairly easy to maintain.

Here are the basic directions. First you need to create a new language called Tabular (or census or whatever you want to call it)

This will allow you to keep your usual census sentences, and also have the sentence structure to create this report, without having to create a second tag.

First thing I had to do for each census tag is create new roles. I wanted each person to have a separate role, so that their data would print on a separate line in the report. Remember if you do this, you will need to add those new roles to your current ENGLISH language sentences.

For the 1850-1870 censuses, I created the roles Household member01- Household member10. So far, I haven't needed more. I then changed everyone with the role of Household member to the new role. The Head of Household has the role Head of Household or in some cased Head of Family.

For the 1880-1920 censuses I created the roles Son01-Son12 and Daughter01-Daughter12. The role is first assigned based on the person's sex, and then by their position on the census. So you would have only one role per number: EX: Son01, Daughter02, Daughter03, Son04. This will place each person in the right order on the report. I changed my current daughter, daughters, son and sons roles to the correct new role. Once again don't forget to add these new roles to your ENGLISH census sentences.

Now in each tag, make sure you are editing the sentences for you TABULAR language and use the role sentences below. Remember, that roles HAVE TO BE exactly like they are in the sentences. If your role names are different from mine, be sure and edit the sentences accordingly. To get the ages to print in the report, I created a Name-style called Census that allows me to put the person's age in the suffix field. This information may show in indexes, and does show in Second Site, so be sure you understand the implications before undertaking this endeavor.

Birth

1816 in VA.

Marriage

8 DEC 1836 in Williamson County, TN,

Groom: George L. Gee

Bride: Sarah Jane Rash.

1840 Federal population census

Enumeration Date: in 1840

Enumerated in Williamson County, TN,

Head of Family: George L. Gee

Possible free white male 00-05: Unknown Gee

Possible free white female 20-30: Sarah Gee.

1850 Federal population census:

Enumeration Date: 10 OCT 1850

Enumerated in Williamson County, TN,

Head of Household: George L. Gee (age 33)

Household member: Sarah J. Gee (age 30)

Household member: James M. Gee (age 7)

Household member: John W. Gee (age 6/12)

Household member: George W. Gee (age 5)

Household member: Thomas H. Gee (age 4).

1860 Federal population census:

Enumeration Date: 24 AUG 1860

Enumerated in Davidson County, TN,

Head of Household: George L. Gee (age 44)

Household member: Sarah G. Gee (age 41)

Household member: James M. Gee (age 17)

Household member: Thomas A. Gee (age 14)

Household member: John Gee (age 12)

Household member: Susan Gee (age 8)

Household member: Maria Gee (age 6)

Household member: Elizabeth Gee (age 3).

Became widowed

between AUG 1860 and APR 1861

Deceased spouse: Sarah Jane Rash.

Marriage

8 APR 1861 in Davidson County, TN,

Groom: George L. Gee

Bride: Mary A. Taylor.

1870 Federal population census:

Enumeration Date: 10 AUG 1870

Enumerated in Rutherford County, TN,

Head of Household: George Gee (age 54)

Household member: Mary Gee (age 41)

Household member: James Gee (age 24)

Household member: John Gee

Household member: Albert Gee (age 23)

Household member: Susan Gee (age 18)

Household member: Mariah Gee (age 16)

Household member: Lizzie Gee (age 15)

Household member: William Gee (age 7)

Household member: Emma Gee (age 4)

Household member: Robert Gee (age 2).

Death

between 1876 and 1880 in TN.

Information continues with his son:

1880 Federal population census

Enumeration Date: on 15 JUN 1880

Enumerated at: in the 8th Civil District of Rutherford County, TN,

Household head: John Gee (age 31)

wife: Elrod Gee (age 30)

daughter: Loula F. Gee (age 7)

son: James A. Gee (age 5)

daughter: Sarah Gee (age 4)

daughter: Cora Lee Gee (age 2)

daughter: Tennessee Gee (age 1).

1900 Federal population census

Enumeration Date: on 22 JUN 1900

Enumerated at: in the 8th Civil District of Rutherford County, TN,

Household head: John Ghee (age 56)

wife: Martha Ghee

daughter: Sallie B. Ghee (age 28)

daughter: Tennie Ghee (age 20)

son: John W. Ghee (age 19)

son: Ed Ghee (age 17)

son: Thomas A. Ghee (age 15)

daughter: Susan H. Ghee (age 13)

daughter: Dennie E. Ghee (age 12)

son: Clifton S. Ghee (age 8)

son: Longae L. Ghee (age 7).

Death

10 APR 1907 in TN.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

1850-1870 Census sentences TABULAR LANGUAGE

Use this same sentence for all roles

Be sure and change the date for each census tag!

[:CR:][:CR:][bOLD:]1850 Federal population census:[:BOLD] [:CR:]Enumeration Date: < [D]>[:CR:]Enumerated < [L]> [:CR:]Head of Household: [R:Household head ]<[:CR:]Household member: [R:household member01]><[:CR:]Household member: [R:household member02]><[:CR:]Household member: [R:household member03]><[:CR:]Household member: [R:household member04]><[:CR:]Household member: [R:household member05]><[:CR:]Household member: [R:household member06]><[:CR:]Household member: [R:household member07]><[:CR:]Household member: [R:household member08]><[:CR:]Household member: [R:household member09]><[:CR:]Household member: [R:household member10]><[:CR:]Household member: [R:one household member]>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1880-1930 Census sentences TABULAR LANGUAGE

Use this same sentence for all roles

Don't forget to change the years for each census tag!

[:CR:][:CR:][bOLD:]1880 Federal population census[:BOLD][:CR:]Enumeration Date: <[D]>[:CR:]Enumerated at: <[L]>[:CR:]Household head: [R:Household head] <[:CR:]wife: [R:wife]><[:CR:]husband: [R:husband]>[HID:]Enter children in order. If the first child is a son, use son01. If the next three children are girls, use daughter02-04, then use son05 for the next son. This will put children in order, yet keep thier roles correct.[:HID]<[:CR:]son: [R:son01]><[:CR:]daughter: [R:daughter01]><[:CR:]son: [R:son02]><[:CR:]daughter: [R:daughter02]><[:CR:]son: [R:son03]><[:CR:]daughter: [R:daughter03]><[:CR:]son: [R:son04]><[:CR:]daughter: [R:daughter04]><[:CR:]son: [R:son05]><[:CR:]daughter: [R:daughter05]><[:CR:]son: [R:son06]><[:CR:]daughter: [R:daughter06]><[:CR:]son: [R:son07]><[:CR:]daughter: [R:daughter07]><[:CR:]son: [R:son08]><[:CR:]daughter: [R:daughter08]><[:CR:]son: [R:son09]><[:CR:]daughter: [R:daughter09]><[:CR:]son: [R:son10]><[:CR:]daughter: [R:daughter10]><[:CR:]son: [R:son11]><[:CR:]daughter: [R:daughter11]><[:CR:]son: [R:son12]><[:CR:]daughter: [R:daughter12]><[:CR:]son: [R:son13]><[:CR:]daughter: [R:daughter13]><[:CR:]son: [R:son14]><[:CR:]daughter: [R:daughter14]><[:CR:]son: [R:son15]><[:CR:]daughter: [R:daughter15]><[:CR:]step son: [R:step son]><[:CR:]step sons: [R:step sons]><[:CR:]step daughter: [R:step daughter]><[:CR:]step daughters: [R:step daughters]><[:CR:]brother: [R:brother]><[:CR:]brothers: [R:brothers]><[:CR:]sister: [R:sister]><[:CR:]sisters: [R:sisters]>. <[:CR:]brother-in-law: [R:brother-in-law]><[:CR:]brothers-in-law: [R:brothers-in-law]><[:CR:]sister-in-law: [R:sister-in-law]><[:CR:]sisters-in-law: [R:sisters-in-law]><[:CR:]son-in-law: [R:son-in-law]><[:CR:]sons-in-law: [R:sons-in-law]><[:CR:]daughter-in-law: [R:daughter-in-law]><[:CR:]daughters-in-law: [R:daughters-in-law]><[:CR:]grandchild: [R:grandchild]><[:CR:]grandchildren: [R:grandchildren]><[:CR:]grandson: [R:grandson]><[:CR:]grandsons: [R:grandsons]><[:CR:]granddaughter: [R:granddaughter]><[:CR:]granddaughters: [R:granddaughters]><[:CR:]mother: [R:mother]><[:CR:]father: [R:father]><[:CR:]father-in-law: [R:father-in-law]><[:CR:]mother-in-law: [R:mother-in-law]><[:CR:]grandfather: [R:grandfather]><[:CR:]grandfathers: [R:grandfathers]><[:CR:]grandmother: [R:grandmother]><[:CR:]grandmothers: [R:grandmothers]><[:CR:]uncle: [R:uncle]><[:CR:]uncles: [R:uncles]><[:CR:]aunt: [R:aunt]><[:CR:]aunts: [R:aunts]><[:CR:]nephew: [R:nephew]><[:CR:]nephews: [R:nephews]><[:CR:]niece: [R:niece]><[:CR:]nieces: [R:nieces]><[:CR:]cousin: [R:cousin]><[:CR:]cousins: [R:cousins]> <a farm hand: [R:farm hand]><[:CR:]farm hands: [R:farm hands]><[:CR:]a hired girl: [R:hired girl]><[:CR:]hired girls: [R:hired girls]><[:CR:]a lodger: [R:lodger]><[:CR:]lodgers: [R:lodgers]><[:CR:]a servant: [R:servant]><[:CR:]servants: [R:servants]><[:CR:][M]>

------------------------------------------------

I do not have multiple roles for anyone other than sons and daughters. Any other role with multiple people attached will show everyone on the same line. I don't have many instances like this, so I didn't feel a need to add all those extra roles. If you have lots of nieces or nephews living with your heads of household, then you might want to add multiple roles for those roles too. Use the same naming sequence as son and daughter to get them to print correctly.

Don't forget you have to change each person to their new role. This will take a while if you already have your census information set up. In the 1850-1870 tags, I made the spouse Household member01 and each child was named in the order they showed in the census.

In the 1880-1930, I assigned the role based first on the person sex, then on the position they were in the census.

Example:

daughter: Sallie B. Ghee (age 28) Daughter01

daughter: Tennie Ghee (age 20) Daughter02

son: John W. Ghee (age 19) Son03

son: Ed Ghee (age 17) Son04

son: Thomas A. Ghee (age 15) Son05

daughter: Susan H. Ghee (age 13) Daughter06

daughter: Dennie E. Ghee (age 12) Daughter07

son: Clifton S. Ghee (age 8) Son08

son: Longae L. Ghee (age 7). Son09

Edited by GenerationGoneBy