Joe Cummings

Conditional sentence selection

Goal: In one tag, have two mutually exclusive conditional sentences to be selected by the presence of one or both roles in the sentence then end with a common series of conditional text. Set up:

Tag Name: childpar (Other Event)

Roles: paP, paPO, prP, prPO, achW, rchW,

Sentence for P (new line for purposes of showing the sentences only) :

<[R:paP] <and [R:paPO]> adopted [R:achW]>

<[R:prP] <and [R:prPO]> raised [R:rchW]>

<[D]><[L]>.<[M]>

Desired results (based on role name assignment producing the resulting sentence structure interpreted for substitution):

(1) roles assigned names: paP, paPO and achW (remaining roles have an ID of 0)

[R:paP] and [R:paPO] adopted [R:achW]. <[D]><[L]>.<[M]>

(2) roles assigned names: paP and achW (remaining roles have an ID of 0)

[R:paP adopted [R:achW]. <[D]><[L]>.<[M]>

(3) roles assigned names: prP and rchW (remaining roles have an ID of 0)

[R:prP] raised [R:rchW]. <[D]><[L]>.<[M]>

In other words, can I nest conditional brackets. I tried a test but it appears that the outer brackets were interpreted as text. Is there another way to accomplish the goal?

Found statement in help that conditional brackets cannot be nested.

Did another test: <[R:paP] and [R:paPO] adopted [R:achW]> and it produces the correct sentence provided all three roles have a name association. This means that I could make conditional sentences but have unique roles for each sentence. For example, add another sentence <[R:pa1P] adopted [R:achW]> and sentence <[R:pa1PO]>. Must be careful assigning names to correct roles.

Two new questions:

(1) Sometimes I get the following error when changing principle/other principle roles and name assignment and also adding new role names to the tag type using master tag type list. If I click "Ignore" the changes do appear ok. Have experienced when encountering the error adding new role names to the master tag, must click "Ignore" up to 6 times to close the error window. Using TMG 7.04 on Windows 7. What does this error mean?

ErrorMarker: Operator/operand type mismatch. 200 FRMEVENTS.CUSCODEHOLDER1.MSAVEEVENTS

(2) Working with this sentence structure: [R:1alone] <is alone|and [R:2alone] both used> test over .<[M]> <[D]> <[L]> In all cases (name assigned either to 1anlone or 2alone only and both) Sentence comes out acurately. When both roles are assigned names, I get "He and Mary" for him and "Frank and Mary for her" regardless of who is labeled in the P or PO position. For both principles they are preceeded by text in the same paragraph. Just curious!

When both roles are assigned names, I get "He and Mary" for him and "Frank and Mary for her" regardless of who is labeled in the P or PO position. For both principles they are preceeded by text in the same paragraph. Just curious!

P and PO don't have any meaning in this context because you didn't use those variables.

Regarding the pronoun substitution, you got full names even though you used just the given names in the examples, right?

When the full name of the subject of the narrative is the first output in a sentence (there are other conditions, too, but let's keep it simple), the name is eligible to be replaced with a subjective pronoun (he, she, they, etc.). That explains your example of "He and Mary ...". Under similar conditions except that the subject is not the first output of the sentence, the name is not eligible to be replaced with a subjective pronoun. Thus "Frank and Mary" rather than "Frank and she ...".