Peter Tarkkonen

Sort order of marriage names

Is there a way to control sort order of marriage-name sentences?

My purpose is to get marriage-name sentence to be outputed in reports after marriage-event sentence.

If date (and sort date) are the same in both marriage-event and marriage-name, TMG individual window show them in right order.

However, in Journal report the order in quite random. I have even examples where same individual has 2 marriages and sentence order is 1st marriage-name sentence, 1st marriage-event sentence, 2nd marriage-event sentence and then 2nd marriage-name sentence.

Peter

If two events have the same sort date there is no predicting in which order they will appear, as you have found. The solution is to change the sort date of one of them - that's what it's for. :)

Note that to use Sort Dates you must be in Advanced data entry mode, not Beginner.

For multiple events on the same date where you want to “force” a particular order, most users simply put a Sort Date for the “other” events one day earlier or later. However, I prefer to keep the “real” or “event” date as part of what I enter for the "other" Sort Dates, and use a date modifier on the sort date in the "other" events to force the order. For example, all of the following Sort Dates contain the “real” date of 21 July, will sort event tags in the order below, and these tags will sort between any tags with similarly constructed 20 July and 22 July Sort Dates:

before 21 Jul 2006

before 21 Jul 2006?

say 21 Jul 2006

say 21 Jul 2006?

circa 21 Jul 2006

circa 21 Jul 2006?

21 Jul 2006

21 Jul 2006?

after 21 Jul 2006

after 21 Jul 2006?

21 Jul 2006-22 Jul 2006

21 Jul 2006-22 Jul 2006?

21 Jul 2006-23 Jul 2006 [etc.]

21 Jul 2006 or 22 Jul 2006

21 Jul 2006 or 22 Jul 2006?

21 Jul 2006 or 23 Jul 2006 [etc.]

21 Jul 2006 to 22 Jul 2006

21 Jul 2006 to 22 Jul 2006?

21 Jul 2006 to 23 Jul 2006 [etc.]

Thus you can specify the order of an unlimited number of tags that are all associated with the same date. And these "other" sort dates will remind you of the "real" date, e.g. 21 Jul 2006.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Note that to use Sort Dates you must be in Advanced data entry mode, not Beginner.

For multiple events on the same date where you want to “force” a particular order, most users simply put a Sort Date for the “other” events one day earlier or later. However, I prefer to keep the “real” or “event” date as part of what I enter for the "other" Sort Dates, and use a date modifier on the sort date in the "other" events to force the order. For example, all of the following Sort Dates contain the “real” date of 21 July, will sort event tags in the order below, and these tags will sort between any tags with similarly constructed 20 July and 22 July Sort Dates:

before 21 Jul 2006

before 21 Jul 2006?

say 21 Jul 2006

say 21 Jul 2006?

circa 21 Jul 2006

circa 21 Jul 2006?

21 Jul 2006 <<------ This is probably the sort date for the "actual" event

21 Jul 2006?

after 21 Jul 2006

after 21 Jul 2006?

21 Jul 2006-22 Jul 2006

21 Jul 2006-22 Jul 2006?

21 Jul 2006-23 Jul 2006 [etc.]

21 Jul 2006 or 22 Jul 2006

21 Jul 2006 or 22 Jul 2006?

21 Jul 2006 or 23 Jul 2006 [etc.]

21 Jul 2006 to 22 Jul 2006

21 Jul 2006 to 22 Jul 2006?

21 Jul 2006 to 23 Jul 2006 [etc.]

Thus you can specify the order of an unlimited number of tags that are all associated with the same date. And these "other" sort dates will remind you of the "real" date, e.g. 21 Jul 2006.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Michael,

you surelly gave some ideas.

I fully agreed with you to keep dates correct. "After" with marriage date will work with me (and actually is quite correct cause marriage name is not on that day but after ;-))

Thank you!

Peter

You may be interested to know that when TMG Utility creates a married name record, you can configure it to copy the sort date of the marriage tag, but it adds one day to the sort date so that the married name tag always sorts after the marriage tag.

You may be interested to know that when TMG Utility creates a married name record, you can configure it to copy the sort date of the marriage tag, but it adds one day to the sort date so that the married name tag always sorts after the marriage tag.

John,

actually I used TMG Utility to add some 400 Marriage name tags and those worked fine. I did notice this 1 day extra feature: Your help and support pages are excellent, everything seems to be documented.

However, thought to drop you an email: Mayde TMG Utility can instead add "after" in front of the day. Then sorting is correct, days are and will stay the same (even after later editing) and point is clear (=name is used after that day).

Peter

TMG Utility is a must product for all TMG users. Cannot survive without!

Peter,

When I implemented the Add Married Names feature, I considered using the "after" date modifier and rejected it, mostly because it would not work for marriages that were already assigned an "after" Sort Date. (Michael's list is interesting, but all those date formats exist for a reason and might be used for an existing event.) I decided I wanted all the dates to follow the same rule and so I implemented the "+1 day" logic.

If a marriage date/sort date changes, the Name-Marr sort date is going to need attention and in most cases it will be obvious what is needed. If only the modifier changes, the "+1" day rule should yield a reasonable outcome without editing.

Peter,

When I implemented the Add Married Names feature, I considered using the "after" date modifier and rejected it, mostly because it would not work for marriages that were already assigned an "after" Sort Date. (Michael's list is interesting, but all those date formas exist for a reason and might be used for an existing event.) I decided I wanted all the dates to follow the same rule and so I implemented the "+1 day" logic.

If a marriage date/sort date changes, the Name-Marr sort date is going to need attention and in most cases it will be obvious what is needed. If only the modifier changes, the "+1" day rule should yield a reasonable outcome without editing.

John,

why I am not supprised that you have thought it.

Very understandable logic.

Thank you!

Peter