chasco

TMG v. 6.12.000 gold ed starting to crash repeatedly

Hi,

During the past several days all of a sudden TMG just goes "boom" and then disappears. Once, very briefly I saw an error message about FoxPro before it vanished. Fortunatley, it does not appear I've lost any work, but it seems to happen repeatedly now, even if I close the program every 20 minutes or so and reopen and then continue working.

Should I re-install the version I have? Is there some kind of buffer in FoxPro that I'm overflowing? (Am entering a lot of data in the memo area of one tag).

Thanks for any help.

Sam

P.S. Hah, wonder if anyone will read this???

Hi, Virginia,

Thanks for taking the time for replying to someone using such an old version. Btw, I look at the Rootsweb site several times a week, but hesitate to subscribe because of the volume, but I enjoy it immensely, even rummaging through posts from the past several years at times and finding gems of knowledge there. Wish there were a way to submit queries/comments off-line, but understand the problem of spam and all that.

Am using Windows XP Home ed., SP 3. Am entering a lot of data in a Note tag I've created. I prefer using a Note tag for bibliographical purposes and also I strongly prefer to quote whatever it is I've found in various sources, so I might have something like: 1. Xxx family database, 2012-02-23 (Info......) 2. 1880 census, X Twp., York Co Pa .... (info .....) and so on. Some Note tags can be large (for example, if I include the text of an obituary I've found), some just a few lines.

Hmm, is there perhaps some kind of limit on how large a memo can be, that is, a limit on the number of characters? Perhaps I should make more than one Note tag instead? It is quite startling when it crashes--as I wrote earlier, the speakers go "BOOM" and TMG just vanishes, except the one time something flashed on the screen about FoxPro. Perhaps that is the cause?

Thank you very much! I'm more concerned about losing everything, but so far (knock on wood, toi, toi unberufen!) have not. And yep, I now back everything up several times a day if I've been doing a lot of inputting.

Sam

Edited by chasco

Am entering a lot of data in a Note tag I've created. I prefer using a Note tag for bibliographical purposes and also I strongly prefer to quote whatever it is I've found in various sources ... Hmm, is there perhaps some kind of limit on how large a memo can be, that is, a limit on the number of characters?...

Hi Sam,

No, there is no practical limit to the number of characters in a memo, but... :rolleyes:

By putting the text within the Memo field of the Note tag it is stored within the TMG database itself. Not sure if this is your problem, but you can get a single file (the one that contains all memos) that is too large for WinXP. I recommend for large amounts of text using an external file which is a simple ASCII text file (Windows file extension of ".txt"). I would create such a file using Notepad or something similar to avoid having word processing special characters embedded.

You could now just link that ASCII file as an external text exhibit to your Note tag. You can then specify in the Report Options of your narrative report to "Include event exhibits" and put these exhibits where ever you like (Embedded, Footnotes, etc.) That will keep the database files smaller. If you put them "Embedded" it will look just like they are part of the tag output.

An alternative to using the external text Exhibit mechanism is described in TMG HELP in the topic "Memo", subtopic "Call External File from Memo Field". You can link to the external file directly from within the memo. A leading ‘!’ as the first thing in a memo implies an external filename follows which contains the memo text. You must include the full path following the exclamation mark, and this must be the first and only thing in the memo, e.g.

!C:\MyMemos\XYZ.txt

As HELP describes, you can even edit that external file from within TMG by pressing F7 when the cursor is within the memo. Using this alternate external file mechanism allows you to have your lengthy text "appear" to be in the memo, yet keep the database files smaller, and also be able to control where your actual Exhibits are output separately.

You might try moving some of your larger Notes to external files and see if this might be your issue?

Hope this gives you ideas,

Sam -

We had a series of 'Abrupt Exit' problems early in v6. That was apparently caused by an antivirus program removing a critical file.

See if you can find any FoxPro error messages in C:WindowsSystem32vfp7rerr.log

Virginia

Hi, Virginia,

Yes, there are quite a few there since Feb. 19th. They each say: "Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2012.02.23 09:54:22 AM. Error log file: C:WINDOWSsystem32vfp7rerr.log Called from - tmgmain line 595 {C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogisttmgprogramstmgmain.prg c:program filesthe master genealogisttmg.exe}." So, I guess line 595 is the problem area?

The earliest entry dates from 2010, then some in 2011 (about a year ago) although I don't recall the system crashing that often before. All of the error messages except one seem to be the same line 595 problem (as quoted above). The exception dates from 6 Dec 2011 and runs: "Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2011.12.06 09:28:48 PM. Error log file: C:WINDOWSsystem32vfp7rerr.log

Called from - messagebox2 line 110 {C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogistcommonprogramsmessagebox2.prg messagebox2.fxp}

Called from - menuobjtmg.mdeleteeventtag line 333 {c:program filesthe master genealogistlibsappobjtmg.vct c:program filesthe master genealogistlibsappobjtmg.vct}

Called from - tmrmds.timer line 173 {c:program filescommonlibspview.vct c:program filescommonlibspview.vct}

Called from - tmgmain line 595 {C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogisttmgprogramstmgmain.prg c:program filesthe master genealogisttmg.exe}"

Mike, thanks for the suggestion and information about exhibits--something I've not yet played around with. Have thought it would be very useful for images of census records, photos of tombstones (esp. from Findagrave), etc.

Again thans for everyone's help and consideration.

Sam

Sam -

Great! That should help narrow it down. I found an old thread here with the same error message. Check it out - particularly Jim's response and the following posts - and see if anything relates to your situation. Note it is not an uncommon error, so could be something else entirely.

Virginia