Arman

Last Edited Date not correct

Just to inform you

When figuring out how to sync data of a replicated project (see forum topic "How to sync data of a replicated project"), I found related problems in TMG v6.04.

1) the Last Edited Date is not updated if a child is added to a person. The Last Edited Date of the child record is OK, but that date in the patent's records are not changed although a child tag has been added. In my opinion, the added tag is a record change here.

2) Something similar happens when adding a Marriage or Divorce tag to a person. The Last Edited Date of that record is updated, but not the record of the partner where the Marriage or Divorce tag is also added. Again, the added tag is a record change here.

I think that due to these problems it is impossible to exchange data between a replicated project to synchronize the changes based on a filter using the Last Edited Date.

On 2005-10-21 I have sent an e-mail to Support about these problems.

Hi,

The same problem occurs when editing place data: the person record last edited date of all persons "using" this place is not updated. Probably, this is also the case for other person-related data (sources, exhibits...).

I can imagine that this would be too much to ask. But the point is that I want be able to determine all changes in a project in order to synchronize with a replica. Or, in other words, to export only that data of a project that has been changed since the previous sync. The way TMG works now blocks this. Or am I wrong?

See also How to sync data of a replicated project? Merging chances from multiple researchers in this forum.

Arman,

The specific problems you reported can be (and should be) fixed. In general, though, I don't think the Last Edited date field is designed to support a synchronization process and that may lead to trouble for you. One problem is that changes to shared structures are not echoed back to the items that reference them. So, for example, if you change location data via the Master Place List, the people whose event tags reference the place will not have their Last Edited date updated. Places do not have a Last Edited date field so you can't tell that they have changed and work back to the affected tags. There are other similar examples.

Arman,

The specific problems you reported can be (and should be) fixed. In general, though, I don't think the Last Edited date field is designed to support a synchronization process and that may lead to trouble for you. One problem is that changes to shared structures are not echoed back to the items that reference them. So, for example, if you change location data via the Master Place List, the people whose event tags reference the place will not have their Last Edited date updated. Places do not have a Last Edited date field so you can't tell that they have changed and work back to the affected tags. There are other similar examples.

Hi John,

Sure, I understand the problem very well. I've developed large multi-user database applications for many years. And it is, of course, possible to change the Last Edited Date of all linked records. But isn't that asking too much?

The point is, however, that somehow a synchronization mechanism should be available to deal with replication management. This is a function that TMG is missing today. I tried it with a manual procedure, based on Wholly Genes' support tips and the merge tips of Terry. The results are very disappointing!

(Refer to the topic How to sync data of a replicated project? Merging chances from multiple researchers.)

Arman,

I don't think it would be wise to change the Last Edited date of all the person records when a linked record changes. My main point was that the linked record has no Last Edited date and so fine-grain synchronization is impossible.

The point is, however, that somehow a synchronization mechanism should be available to deal with replication management.
I think it's a good idea for a variety of reasons but I don't think it's a requirement. I bet that replication support is low on the priority list for the great majority of users.