Over the years, I have used almost all of the different genealogy programs at one time or another. One feature I would like to see is what I call a "Butterfly" chart. Essentially, this is a double-pedigree chart for an individual. The way it would work is you select an individual and indicate "Butterfly" chart. Then, there would be a line going up from that individual to the line between his parents; the father on the left and the mother on the right. From there, the father would have a regular pedigree chart only instead of "branching" to the right, it would branch left; going progressively further backward as the chart goes to the left. For the mother, the chart would essentially be a traditional pedigree chart; the kind that can be found in almost ALL programs.

I would even settle for an option in the pedigree chart that indicates "left branching" or "right branching" because then I could just print two pedigree wall charts and tape them together. The former solution would be the prefered method, however.

I have attached a JPG example of what the chart would look like:

post-5791-1133616076_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know how to achieve this easily and quickly with Master Genealogist v6? Is there another program that can do this?

-D

Edited by daniel_james_gullo

Over the years, I have used almost all of the different genealogy programs at one time or another.  One feature I would like to see is what I call a "Butterfly" chart.  Essentially, this is a double-pedigree chart for an individual.  The way it would work is you select an individual and indicate "Butterfly" chart.  Then, there would be a line going up from that individual to the line between his parents; the father on the left and the mother on the right.  From there, the father would have a regular pedigree chart only instead of "branching" to the right, it would branch left; going progressively further backward as the chart goes to the left.  For the mother, the chart would essentially be a traditional pedigree chart; the kind that can be found in almost ALL programs.

I would even settle for an option in the pedigree chart that indicates "left branching" or "right branching" because then I could just print two pedigree wall charts and tape them together.  The former solution would be the prefered method, however.

I have attached a JPG example of what the chart would look like:

post-5791-1133616076_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know how to achieve this easily and quickly with Master Genealogist v6?  Is there another program that can do this?

-D

In TMG it's the Hourglass Box Chart....

This is called a "bow-tie" chart in some other places.

It can be produced in TMG using VCF as a compound chart.

That is,

1) Produce an annestor chart left-to-right orientation for the person's mother.

2) Produce an annestor chart right-to-left orientation for the person's father.

3) Produce an ancestor chart 1 generation for the person themselves.

4) Open 2), extend the canvas large enough for all the rest, copy/paste on 3) then 1) and join them up.

This is a more powerful method than the "canned" charting of other programs as it allows you to have different settings for the paternal and maternal sides. It also allows you to "include siblings of ancestors", use different accents, etc.