Wholly Genes Software of Columbia, Maryland, is proud to announce that
The Master Genealogist v5.0 will be released as a downloadable product
on Tuesday, 21 May 2002.
This brand new product represents a complete re-write of the most powerful
family history project manager on the market. It has the long-awaited
32-bit interface with right-click menus, long file names, and support
for the mouse wheel but that's just the beginning. It includes updated
versions of the exclusive technologies for which TMG is famous, including
GenBridge (direct imports without GEDCOM) and Visual Chartform (powerful
charting tools) and it adds dozens of new and enhanced features. The Master
Genealogist v5.0 raises the bar again and family history software will
never be the same!
We have heard the passionate pleas from our users and we're releasing
TMG v5.0 as a downloadable product even before the CDs and printed Reference
Manual are in stock so that researchers can start using it as soon as
possible. At the same, however, we've decided to hold back some features
which have not been sufficiently tested. In particular, report output
will be limited to charts (ancestor, descendant, hourglass, and fan charts)
in this initial release. Using the new easy online upgrade feature (described
below), we will release the remaining reports in coming weeks as they
are certified by the beta testers. In the meantime, the core of the program
is complete and you can import their data get started learning all of
the exciting new features, including:
New tools make the program easier to learn and use:
· NEW: Beginner and Advanced Data Entry Modes
· IMPROVED: Import Wizard with Simple and Advanced Modes
· NEW: Welcome window simplifies startup options.
· NEW: Export Wizard simplifies GEDCOM and other export options.
· NEW: “Tips and Hints” expose you to new a feature each time that
the program is started.
· NEW: “Cue cards” explain the purpose and options of each major
screen when you access it.
· IMPROVED: Expanded context-sensitive Help
More Import Options:
· IMPROVED: Direct import options are updated to reflect the latest
versions of supported programs.
· NEW: Import directly from Generations (without GEDCOM)
· NEW: Import directly from Legacy 3 or 4 (without GEDCOM)
More Flexible Data Entry Tools:
· IMPROVED: Expanded Abbreviation fields
· IMPROVED: Link a single research task to a person AND an event
AND a source AND a repository
· NEW: Citation Reference field
· NEW: Each event participant can have a specific name variation
associated with the event.
· NEW: Use Microsoft Word's spelling and grammar checker as an
alternative to the built-in spell checker.
· NEW: Customizable name field labels and easily apply Name “styles”
· NEW: Customizable place field labels and easily apply Place “styles”
· NEW: Customizable Add Person window, including flags.
Better Searching Tools
· IMPROVED: Simple Picklist for fast access even with very large
· NEW: Expanded Picklist shows full names of parents and spouse.
· NEW: Expanded Picklist has Column Mode and Event List Mode to
show more data.
· NEW: Web searching. Point and click to search for your relatives
on Ancestry.com, Rootsweb, and other sites.
· NEW: Conduct one search for all name variations on multiple sites
at the same time.
· NEW: Includes web links to searchable geographic databases
· NEW: Includes other useful web links for researchers
· NEW: The unique Project Explorer shows people in a Windows Explorer-like
· NEW: Master Event List can be searched and sorted
· NEW: User-defined Focus Groups allow operations (e.g., web searches)
on selected groups of people.
· NEW: Save/load Picklist filter conditions to file.
· IMPROVED: Unlimited user-defined bookmarks
Enhanced Charting Tools
· NEW: Produce flexible hourglass charts.*
· NEW: Rescale charts to fit a user-defined size
· NEW: Repaginate so that boxes skip page breaks
· NEW: Add and delete lines from individual boxes
· NEW: Simple and artistic frames jazz up your box charts.
· NEW: Design your own frames!
· NEW: Apply frames based on Accent conditions.
· NEW: Export charts to Enhanced Metafile (emf)
Improved Multimedia Support:
· NEW: Image Window displays the primary image of a person on the
· NEW: Exhibit Log shows scrollable thumbnails
· NEW: Produce multimedia slideshows with transition effects and
other advanced features*
· NEW: Export slideshows send them to relatives with the included
· NEW: Drag and drop multimedia files from the Windows Explorer
· NEW: Direct scanner support.
Power New Project Management Tools:
· NEW: View multiple data sets at the same time.
· NEW: View/search your data with that of other researchers in
one alphabetical list without merging them together.
· NEW: Open multiple projects at the same time and navigate them
· NEW: Import and “lock” data sets from other sources
· NEW: Easily “Refresh” locked data sets upon receiving an update
· NEW: Disable data sets
· NEW: Drag and drop to copy or move people between data sets.
The Most Customizable Working Environment:
· NEW: Control the size/position of every display window to completely
customize the display.
· NEW: Easily switch between user-defined screen layouts
· NEW: Multiple independent toolbars
· NEW: Moveable and dockable toolbars
· NEW: Automatic support for Windows color schemes
· NEW: Customizable on-screen fonts
· NEW: Custom Toolbar includes new options
· NEW: Change the order of flags on the Flag window
· NEW: Change the row height on the Person View (i.e., show events
· IMPROVED: Use an unlimited number of Accent conditions to display
people in different colors on the screen.
· IMPROVED: Define Accents based on elaborate conditions (e.g,
Born in Virginia, > 10 children, etc.), not just flags. · IMPROVED:
Accent definition displayed on the Status Bar
· NEW: Save/load Accent conditions to files
Additional Convenience Features:
· NEW: Item Tips show pop-up extended text by simply pointing the
mouse to long memos on the Person View.
· NEW: Send your completed charts online to be printed at a budget
price on a large-format color printer.
· NEW: Online upgrade option checks for a more recent version.
If one is found it is downloaded and applied automatically.
NOTE: The Master Genealogist v5.0 no longer includes a bundled copy of
the Ancestry Genealogy Library(tm). Users who received that second CD
with TMG v4.0 will still be able to access The Source, Red Book, Ancestry's
Concise Genealogical Dictionary, and other material on that CD from within
TMG v5.0, however, so hold on to your 2nd CD!
TO PURCHASE: TMG v5.0 will be available on the Wholly Genes web store
(www.whollygenes.com) on the release date cited above. At that time, you
will be able to purchase and download the product (~20 Megs). The purchase
price includes a CD-ROM and printed Reference Manual which will not be
available at that time but will be shipped at a later date as they become
o The upgrade fee from TMG v4.x is $30.00. A valid serial number will
o The upgrade fee from Family Tree SuperTools is $59.00. Proof of purchase
will be required if not purchased directly from Wholly Genes.
o For non-upgrading users, the new price of TMG v5.0 will be $79.00. This
represents a 20% reduction in the suggested retail price due to the fact
that it no longer includes the bundled copy of the Ancestry Genealogy
Library(tm) as described above.
All prices exclude shipping and handling. Other discounts may also apply
(e.g., for registered users of both TMG and FTST) and will be selectable
from the web store. (* Slideshows and some charts are not included in
TMG Silver Edition.)
Software is a privately held corporation founded in 1993 with the goal
of providing professional caliber software tools to family historians.
Its flagship product, The Master Genealogist, is among the highest rated
family history project managers and is in use in more than 30 countries
around the world.
Tim Shaw (410)715-2260 x129
Wholly Genes Software
The Master Genealogist™, GenBridge™, Visual Chartform™, and Chartform
Delivery™ are trademarks of Wholly Genes, Inc. All other trademarks belong
to their respective holders.