Golfer

Ultimate Family Tree Import

I am having a problem importing a Ultimate Family Tree database to TMG V7.04. In reviewing the sources after the import, I am seeing that some imported sources are cited hundreds of times. I have checked some of the tags that they are associated with and they are incorrect. In fact, the import has placed the wrong source on some of the tags I have checked.

I tried to import form both a backup file (.sqz) and also from the original database (.pro) files. The result is the same both ways.

I have looked at all the import options and don't see anything relevant to this problem.

Any help or ideas on what the problem could be would be much appreciated.

Golfer

I am having a problem importing a Ultimate Family Tree database to TMG V7.04. In reviewing the sources after the import, I am seeing that some imported sources are cited hundreds of times. I have checked some of the tags that they are associated with and they are incorrect. In fact, the import has placed the wrong source on some of the tags I have checked.

I tried to import form both a backup file (.sqz) and also from the original database (.pro) files. The result is the same both ways.

I have looked at all the import options and don't see anything relevant to this problem.

Any help or ideas on what the problem could be would be much appreciated.

Golfer

I've been importing my UFT database regularly, and have not noticed duplicated sources.

I have noticed an empty citation field at the end of one of my memo text fields. It shows up as " [CIT:] [:CIT]" This produced an empty footnote in the Journal report. For that source, I have one field that is defined just for this occurrence of of the source reference (a common UFT feature, similar, I guess, to a Citation Detail in TMG. I need to do more examination of my sources to try to track down the conditions that might produce this result.

Pierce

I have done a couple of additional things. I have an old copy of TMG Ver. 4.0c. I used this to import my UFT database and then imported the database into TMG Ver 7.04. It seemed to import without issues. All sources and citations seem to be correct.

In looking further at the Ver 7.04 direct imports, it appears the sources are all there and seem to be the same as in the TMG Ver 4.0c import. The problem appears to be in the citations in the various tags. They are all messed up.

So anyway, I have a way to import my database. I don't know if there are any other implications by doing the import his way.

Golfer

Golfer,

YOu might want to contact tech support directly at support@whollygenes.com and tell them the issues you were having with the import.

I imported into TMG 4.0 as you did with no issues and have updated with each version along the way and have had no issues whatsoever. I didn't answer you first question because I had not seen what you were seeing. It's possible that the issue is with the 7.04 import and how it is reading your data. I haven't imported anything since 4.0 and no longer have a UFT data file on my computer.

After doing the 7.04 import, did you run optimize? It's possible that that might have cleaned up the messed up citations.

Golfer,

YOu might want to contact tech support directly at support@whollygenes.com and tell them the issues you were having with the import.

I imported into TMG 4.0 as you did with no issues and have updated with each version along the way and have had no issues whatsoever. I didn't answer you first question because I had not seen what you were seeing. It's possible that the issue is with the 7.04 import and how it is reading your data. I haven't imported anything since 4.0 and no longer have a UFT data file on my computer.

After doing the 7.04 import, did you run optimize? It's possible that that might have cleaned up the messed up citations.

Thanks for the input. I did contact support and provided them with my UFT database. I do believe the problem is with the Ver. 7.04 import. I have not heard back from support if they have verified any problem with Ver 7.04 import. I am just going to use the import to Ver 4.0c and then to Ver 7.04 and move along, unless there is some reason not to.

I also tried the optimize after the Ver 7.04 direct import from UFT at supports suggestion, but it did not solve the issue.

Golfer

Thanks for the input. I did contact support and provided them with my UFT database. I do believe the problem is with the Ver. 7.04 import. I have not heard back from support if they have verified any problem with Ver 7.04 import. I am just going to use the import to Ver 4.0c and then to Ver 7.04 and move along, unless there is some reason not to.

I also tried the optimize after the Ver 7.04 direct import from UFT at supports suggestion, but it did not solve the issue.

Golfer

Wholly Genes support can be great. They addressed a couple of UFT to TMG problems I encountered once they took a look at my UFT data base.

You will probably want to do a number of imports of your UFT data as you see where some of the things you did in UFT don't transfer as you wish into TMG. The UFT 3.1 Find and Replace function can be very useful if you find you have done something in UFT that does not go over to TMG very well. I've had to clean up a couple of event types so the TMG results are satisfactory.

You may also find that there are some things TMG just can't do as well as UFT. If you feel some feature that UFT has that is missing in TMG, you could try suggesting a wish-list item, which might some day be implemented if it is likely to be of use to many other TMG users. (But so far the ones I have suggested don't seem to have gone anywhere.)

Pierce

There is a very old bug when the database has a large number of free notes. Fixed and still testing. I'll send an updated uft.app to Dan when done.

btw... Using the TMG v7.04 uft.app, there is a work-around. Using the Advanced Import Wizard, there is a "Merge identical free notes (sources)" option that is selected by default.

If you disable (uncheck) this option, the free note import issue doesn't occur.

With the updated uft.app, the free note import works when the option is selected (the default).