The paste and copy function doesn’t work in certain data entry fields in TMG 9.0 running on a Windows 8 laptop. I can copy and paste in other programs or in TMG 8.0. This started as soon as I opened the TMG 9.0 program as I was unable to paste the serial number into the serial number field. However, I can paste or copy into citation detail window or the Memo field in a tag but can't paste into other data entry cells such as date or location fields. I get this error: “Clipboard doesn’t contain specified formatted data”. Right clicking in the field shows no data found the copy clipboard. Is there a way to correct this problem? I don’t have this error with other programs such as Word, Excel or TMG 8.

Edited by sullrich

I have pasted a serial number into the TMG9 field many dozens of times with no issues. And can paste into the date and location fields.

If you are referring to the repeat function for the date and location fields, you should reset the repeat files.

File / Maintenance / Initialize Repeat Files

(The TMG repeat function is not used for the serial number field on the unlock screen.)

Also, if you are using an add-on clipboard utility, you need to look at that.

No this isn't using the F3 key to repeat previous entry which works fine but the basic Control C or Control V functions. As I mentioned in the post I can copy/paste in other programs and in TMG 8 but not in the fields that I mention in TMG 9.I'm not sure what your referring to as an "add-on clipboard utility"? The clipboard I referred to is the standard one in Windows used for all programs using the Control V for pasting. It doesn't make sense that I can paste/copy in other programs but not in TMG 9. I guess there is no way to turn on or off in TMG 9?

I have never had any issues copying and pasting within V9. Though I rarely use Ctl C, Ctl V. I usually use the mouse to highlight and right click copy etc

I am also having the same copy/paste problem. I keep getting a message in TMG 9 that "clipboard does not contain specified formatted data".

I can copy and paste from at least 6 other programs with no problems. I also did not have any problem in TMG 8. I copied lots of obits from many different sources directly to the memo field of obituary tag. I am not able to do this in TMG 9.01.00.

I suspect that you need to use the Edit / Paste Special option. No changes were made to these program functions between TMG8 and TMG9 AFAIK.

That process also doesn't work as it's grayed out so not an option. Also when right clicking in a data entry field the "paste/paste special" functions are also grayed out. This only happens in the "Date" and all the "Place" fields such as addressee, City. County, State during Tag entry. Basically any copy/paste function is not working in Date and Place entries.

The F3 command works to recall and use previous entered data into those fields.

I get the same error that the above user (Eagleman) gets "clipboard does not contain specified formatted data" when I try to paste data from a TMG Place field (e.g., State) say into a Memo field. However, if I copy from say a Word document it will paste fine into the Memo field or Citation field but still not into a Date or Place data field.

I guess is a particular configuration of my operating system that doesn't allow Copy/Paste command in these fields within TMG9 but allows it to function in TMG8.

I just installed v9, could not copy & paste serial number in; & now that my projects are restored, none of the copy & paste functions is working, exactly as described by others in this forum. Has anyone found the reason & fix for this issue? Thanks!

Edited by PJWH

Hmmm... As Jim mentioned above there is no known change in TMG. TMG simply uses the Windows Copy/Paste function. Only one user mentioned their OS version, which was Windows 9. I wonder what version of Windows others who are seeing this issue are using? Could there be some new/special setting in Windows for Copy/Paste whose default has changed with an update?

I'm using Win 8.1. I don't have this problem in any other program. I just tried to right click to copy & paste into an Exhibit Log but "cut, copy, paste, paste unformatted text" are all grey. Ctrl C & V don't work, although they work in other programs, & toolbar Edit has all grey except "paste," but paste doesn't work in Exhibit Log. The problem extends to Tag Entry, too; although like the others with this problem, F3 works fine. I downloaded v9 last night from Wholly Genes site & restored 3 large projects. Thus far, this is the only problem I have, although I haven't done any data entry. Thanks.

I just tried to right click to copy & paste into an Exhibit Log but "cut, copy, paste, paste unformatted text" are all grey. Thanks.

You're not trying to copy and paste, say an image, into the Exhibit Log? You can't do that. You appear to be talking about text.

FYI: I have finally located the source of my troubles - my security program. It was denying TMG internet access. Once I changed the setting to "allow" & started TMG, TMG's message manager immediately checked for messages, & I could cut & paste, again......

Great to hear. Now I highly suggest that you go into "Preferences // Program Options // Startup and Exit" and change both the "Check for messages every" and "Check the web site" settings to zero days. That way TMG will never again "automatically" try to access the Internet, and possibly cause you problems. You can always check either of these manually from options on the HELP menu. And since support for TMG is ending, there are unlikely to be any more messages anyway, so turning this off will not hurt.

I'm also having problems using Paste in TMG. I'm running Windows 8.1 update. Paste is greyed out when I've tried to Paste a URL in the URL field of a new Source, and Paste is greyed out when I try to copy the Title field to the Short Title field. Paste works elsewhere in Windows programs. The really odd thing is that I could Paste in the Short Title field earlier today. The whole problem seems to be sporadic--I've had this Paste problem elsewhere in TMG recently but thought for a while that it was a Copy problem in Firefox. But I could paste the URL into a Word document, so it was not a Copy problem. I was having the problem in TMG 9.03 and now am also having the problem in 9.04. TMG is able to access the Internet because I used Check for An Update to get 9.04. I made the change to zero days in the 2 places in Preferences that you suggested above.

Any other suggestions?

I've solved this Copy/Paste problem. It was a setting in WebRoot in the Identity Protection section that was not working (in my opinion) the way it was supposed to work. I had to remove TMG from the applications list.

Yes, any program running in the background, like Web Root, which is monitoring/touching database files while the database program is running will usually cause various problems with that database program, not just TMG.

Thanks for the help! I have been after this problem through all of v9.xx with Windows 8.1 and WebRoot, including TMG tech support. The good news is my keyboard skills were sharpened. I followed the WebRoot suggestion. IT WORKED! I never thought I would get excited about being able to copy and paste - it seemed so mundane. Again, thank you!

It's a big club, apparently, with little consistency in fixes. Sooner or later we may stumble on the root solution. Interesting to note that the MS forum has 4 pages on this subject too.

Meanwhile, I'll add a little data: I have the problem on my Windows 7 desktop, but no problem on the windows 8.1 laptop. I've tried most (I think all) of the fixes suggested except using the safe mode which I'll try shortly. I can paste into other applications; so far TMG is the only one presenting me with the problem. I'm assuming if paste works in the safe mode TMG will be forever happy about my registration, and I can do most of my work on the laptop.

Dick

Opening Windows 7 in safe mode (F8 at startup) allowed me to copy/paste the serial # and make TMG happy as a puppy.

Don't know yet whether paste will work internally in normal mode.