Lee

Names in empty data set

I am working with a project with five data sets. The Project Summary shows 7211 people with the usual values for names, events, witnesses, etc.

Of the 5 data sets, data set one has 7211 persons and the usual other values in the Project Summary for that data set. Data sets three, four, and five show as empty. Data set two, on the other hand, shows no people or anything else, but has 17 names. These names only appear in the Project Explorer (PE) and Picklist. I cannot select any of these names in DS2 to display in the Details window.

Disabling all data sets except DS2, Project Explorer shows 13 Primary people and 17 total people. In addition to the Primary indicator, the PE displays the usual familial relationship and clicking on the plus boxes, the PE expands to show the spouse and children. Further, the PE shows the ID with the the "1:" prefix as if this was displaying data for data set one instead of data set two.

I have run all Maintenance functions and no problems are found.

If I copy the project to a work project, delete data set one in that work project and optimize then looking at the N* tables shows nothing as would be expected of a project with no people in it.

One of the persons in data set two has both a Primary and non-Primary name that are the same (probably from a person merge). Going to data set one for that person, I deleted the non-Primary name. Going back to data set two, the non-Primary name remained, and the Maintenance functions did not remove it. This appears to say that the apparent "ghosting" of the names in DS2 is not dynamic as would appear in the PE (& Picklist).

Anyone have any idea why this "ghosting" appears?

Lee

Cross-links between data sets are really the only explanation.

I can look at the project with tools that you don't have, if you wish.

An update - I found that the one person who had a second Name-Var Tag that was a dupe of the Primary Name Tag also has a Name-Marr Tag that was empty (e.g., Given and Surnames were implied). Deleting that Tag also removed the non-Primary name from data set two after the Maintenance functions. Interestingly, adding those non-Primary Name-Var and Name-Marr Tags back did not restore them as "ghost" Tags in data set two.

Lee

Cross-links between data sets are really the only explanation.

Yes, but what caused it? The N Table shows the ghosted name record as DS #2 in addition to the correct records.