randy

File corruption problem

I'm a VERY infrequent TMG user. I have V 7.02. A few days ago, I received some additional information on a cousin whose name I had listed incorrectly. I attempted to change his name and have had problems since.

Specifically, when attempting to open my file now it indicates that there were problems and they need to be repaired, shutting the program down. When I reopen it, it goes into repair mode and I can move around. I'll close the program but when attempting to reopen, we go through the same issue as just described. Using the validate, there are two errors which can't be repaired:

473MENUOBJTMG.MVALDATAINTEGRITY and 10581FIXLOSTREZATTONUID.

I'm baffled. I've tried pulling an older SQZ file and opening it but wind up in the very same situation.

Outside of giving up genealogy, any ideas? <weak grin>

I've since upgraded to 7.03 and still no joy. Problem is repetitive. Is there ANY way to get some help on this problem or am I on my own here?

(Incidentally, when I typed the second message I had a typo which would likely have been obvious: it should have been 10581FIXLOSTRELATTONUID - I'd put a z instead of l there).

I've had TMG since the Compuserve days and have faithfully upgraded each time, only once before asking for a bit of assistance. I'd hate to say goodbye to an old friend at this point but three weeks and not a single answer makes me think that's what's going to happen. <SIGH>

To contact tech support, e-mail support@whollygenes.com

In the meantime:

You can try deleting the index files (*.CDX) in that project while TMG is closed. There are about 29 of the index files (fewer if TMG has gone into Repair mode), all beginning with the name of the project. The index files will be regenerated when the project opens. When the project opens, run Validate File integrity and Optimize. Repeat both until there are no more errors reported. It wouldn't hurt to also run 'Initialize Repeat Files'.

If that does not help, try reinstalling - using the full v7.03 trial version downloaded from WhollyGenes.com. You will need to have handy your e-mail address when you registered and your v7 registration number.

Virginia