E Wilcock

Restoring Defaults - wish list

Jim Byram rightly told me one had no need to mess with the default output of GEDCOM memos.

One of my greatest problems as a new user of TMG was that I had no idea how to restore defaults - and it isn't indexed in either of the instruction books.

I didn't learn how to do it for years. A few weeks ago Virginia posted how to delete all versions of a Report - that to restore the default one must attempt to Delete the version that was originally the default.

I transfered this advice to other areas of TMG and, thanks to this, I am at last finding my feet in the program.

The idea that a new user needs to ask to delete the original default in order to be refused and given the option to restore the original is counter intuitive.

After all, deleting the original is what most of us want to avoid. It is particularly important for those of us using the UK edition where some things we use as standard are not in fact default and can be deleted.

I would beg for very clearer instructions on restoring defaults in TMG and in future editions a more direct method - like a restore default button.

I'll add thanks too to both Virginia and Jim - your clear explanation of a particular small procedure, may have a wider benefit of which you never know. Your tuition over the last few months has made a great difference to me.

Evelyn