half pint

Alias "FILE_N" is not found

Hi

I was working on TMG along with several other sites open and went to the loo, when I returned all my sites including TMG had closed down, although the machine was switched on and we had not had a power cut. I can now go onto the internet and open all my other games etc except for TMG.

When I try and open TMG it comes up with the message above and will not let me enter. HELP. I am not very computer literate and as it only seems to be happening on this, is it a TMG problem. I backed up TMG before I went to bed last night but have added several hours work this morning.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hope to hear from someone soon.

Regards

Half Pint

Hi,

you might try to contact the support group at support@whollygenes.com. They helped me a few weeks ago to repair a dameged database so that I did not loose any data.

Regards

Helmut

Hi,

you might try to contact the support group at support@whollygenes.com. They helped me a few weeks ago to repair a dameged database so that I did not loose any data.

Regards

Helmut

Hi Helmut

Many thanks for helping me. I have done as you suggested and emailed them and included my serial number so that if needed, they can enter it.

Again many thanks

Regards

Half Pint

Lin -

There is a similar problem reported here. In that case the user had to restore a backup. Tech support can advise you whether that will be necessary in your case.

In the meatime, to open TMG, see Jim's instructions in that thread for accessing the Welcome Window option. If you are unsure of the location of the required app.ini file, see my data file storage article here, page 4 (the app.ini file is about halfway down the list of files). The screenshots in that article are from WindowsXP but the Vista folder locations are also indicated. The first page of the article shows how to enable viewing of file extensions if you need to do that to see the app.ini file.

Virginia

Lin -

There is a similar problem reported here. In that case the user had to restore a backup. Tech support can advise you whether that will be necessary in your case.

In the meatime, to open TMG, see Jim's instructions in that thread for accessing the Welcome Window option. If you are unsure of the location of the required app.ini file, see my data file storage article here, page 4 (the app.ini file is about halfway down the list of files). The screenshots in that article are from WindowsXP but the Vista folder locations are also indicated. The first page of the article shows how to enable viewing of file extensions if you need to do that to see the app.ini file.

Virginia

Hi Virginia

As always, you are my saviour.

I realise that I am being paranoid but even knowing that I have a backup from yesterday, until I see my project open in front of me I will not get the memories of my previous disaster out of my head.

I have read your message and the one from Jim but having changed to Vista in the last few weeks from XP and my head being fuddled I cannot find the app.ini file

Regards

Lin aka half pint

(1) WelcomeWindow.jpg (2) VistaHidden.jpg

(3) fileextensions.jpg

The app.ini file is in this folder in Vista:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

- 'user name' being your user name.

Open the file in a text editor, like Notepad. See Image 1 above for the section to be edited.

If you cannot find the app.ini file, it is possible that the file and folder are hidden (a Windows option). To UNhide the file and folder in Vista, follow the instructions in Image 2.

If the file view does not show the extensions (.ini), follow the instructions to display file extensions (Image 3).

Virginia

Open the file in a text editor, like Notepad. See Image 1 above for the section to be edited.

If you cannot find the app.ini file, it is possible that the file and folder are hidden (a Windows option). To UNhide the file and folder in Vista, follow the instructions in Image 2.

If the file view does not show the extensions (.ini), follow the instructions to display file extensions (Image 3).

Hi Virginia

I finally got into the file and both Windows were already set to 2 as they should have been. When my son finally got home from work [it was like waiting for paint to dry] he managed to get into TMG. We got into my project and it had lost all the information that I had keyed in this morning, but it was there, that is the main thing. The paranoia has now lessened.

I don't know if it will help but I created a new project and restored yesterdays backup and will work on that one from now on.

Again, many many thanks

Regards

Half Pint

Hi Virginia

I finally got into the file and both Windows were already set to 2 as they should have been. When my son finally got home from work [it was like waiting for paint to dry] he managed to get into TMG. We got into my project and it had lost all the information that I had keyed in this morning, but it was there, that is the main thing. The paranoia has now lessened.

I don't know if it will help but I created a new project and restored yesterdays backup and will work on that one from now on.

Again, many many thanks

Regards

Half Pint

I had further problems with it so have had to re-install v7 and re key all yesterdays info, I am just so so relieved that was all I lost.

Regards

Half Pint